Russell H., Internet and LAN
Experience:  11 years work with Internet/IP, routers, networks, servers
13568747

My cable was out all day yesterday. I finally had to reset

Customer Question

My cable was out all day yesterday. I finally had to reset my linksys router as it was off for so long all the factory settings were reset. I finally got modem, router working-however now my extender will not work-I tried various tries to 'reset' unplug login-nothing works-when I reset it does not read on my computer though linksys prompts me to reset it won't let me-I have amazon firestick on 2 tv's currently reading the current -weak-wifi signal not the extender-the extender is flashing amber-I have tried everything thorugh the linksys website-nothing works-I was told they had to reset the IP address-which is why then the router had to be reset with new password ***** from scratch'-extender will not acknolwedge password ***** my laptop wifi is not recognizing extender
JA: Have you tried "power cycling" your router -- unplugging it and letting it rest for about ten seconds?
Customer: can you assist?
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I can try unplugging the router-is that what you are suggesting?
JA: Thank you.
Customer: how long do I unplug router for? not extender router correct?
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: today-I tried unplugging extenter, resetting extender, going through lynisis to login to extender-going through tv/amazon-it will not read any of the prior 'wifi logins' for the extender-I had this set-up prior to the outage yestereday-once router was 'reset' then it never recognized extender again\
JA: Anything else you want the network expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: this is all for now-
Category: Networking
Expert:  Kevin T replied 4 months ago.

Hi

Whats the service you currently use?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Cox cable-linksys on router and extender
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I think you should log in to your range extender's configuration or 'admin' utility.

And configure it to reflect, largely, the main values on your router.

Remember that, in configuring a range extender, one has to set it to the same SSID as the WiFi router one is trying to extend.

And also, the encryption code must be the exact same type (not just WPA, for instance, but if the main router is WPA-PSK, then the extender must be WPA-PSK too. This requirement may even extend to revision level, so if a router is very new and an extender is much older, it may not work.)

Another point: range extenders must actually be within range of the main router. So check on that also, by trying to access the main router (after turning Off the range extender altogether, and unplugging it) from that same position with a wireless-equipped laptop, and see if it has a reasonably strong signal, of at least two bars I would recommend (though only one green bar *might* work reliably.)

Let me know how it goes, and what you may need instructions on, please. Thanks.