Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

I have shared folders from my Windows 7 laptop which I can't

Customer Question

I have shared folders from my Windows 7 laptop which I can't see from my Panasonic Viera 40DX650E tv. I could see the folders a few days ago but after that without any changes on the network or other settings the folders would not come up any more.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your laptop, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: Acer with Windows 7 64bit
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I bought the TV, shared the folders on my laptop then the folders came up on my tv after a short while (not from the first try). Next day the tv did not show the shared folders any more.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: for the last week I worked on this every day a few hours I tried all sort of settings I could acces for ex: videos through the DNLA server but these don't play because of the tv I gues Only some videos not all ... but quite a few
JA: Anything else you want the network expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thank you
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Networking
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
My local network is a wired one with a router, 3 laptops and a tv. I shared folders between laptops with no problems. All laptops are windows 7 64bit.
When I go to DEVICE on my TV the shared folders don't come up, or if they do they come up after a long while. If they come up the TV asks me to register even though I have set to OFF the "Turn on password ***** sharing" in Windows 7 in the ADVANCED SHARING SETTINGS.
Expert:  bbao replied 27 days ago.

As you mentioned above, you need to enable DNLA services on the Windows 7 computer in order to let your TV to access the shared media files including pictures, video and music.

The most common way to enable DNLA is to enable Media Streaming in Control Panel, as shown here.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
DNLA is sharing through the DNLA server but I should be able to see the shared folders without the DNLA.
I have also enabled DNLA and I indexed my videos in Windows Media Player. I can see the videos on my TV through the DNLA server but I can't play them all. Especially the flv videos, I get a "File not supported".
Expert:  bbao replied 27 days ago.

"File not supported" commonly means the video format is not supported by the TV.

Be aware that even for the same filename extension such as AVI (a popular format, which must be recognised by your TV), your TV may not be able to play it due to different codecs for the video, especially for some new movies downloaded from the Internet.

For example, you may play almost any kind of video format using VLC on Mac or PC, but only a few of the VLC supported formats can be played by your TV (actually most TVs).