Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

We have a domain network with 4 users, each with two

Customer Question

We have a domain network with 4 users, each with two computers each computer is named WRK plus a number, e.g.WRK001, WRK002. We needed to fix one because of OS problems. When we got it back up, we named it WRK002 and logged into the network. All is fine and it can see everything and everything can see it. Then we saw another computer was already named WRK002, so we decided to rename it WRK008, which wasn't being used that I could see. Windows told me "no" that WRK008 was already being used on the network. I knew it wasn't so from the domain controller, i deleted the WRK008 entry in the active directory. I was then allowed to rename the WRK02 to WRK008. Now, nobody can see that machine or its printer on the network. From server that acts as the domain controlle, i can see that computer but can't access it. What's going on??
Category: Networking
Expert:  Byron replied 3 months ago.

Hi. Here's how we used to do this. In AD first create a new machine account. WRK009 or something not in use, for example.

Log on to the machine as a local admin and rename the computer to whatever you created in AD and join it to the WORKGROUP.

Reboot the computer and join it to the domain.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay, I'll try that but not today. One other thing might give a clue. This new computer does not have file and printer sharing turned on, so I did so. It asked for the administrator sign-in. I entered the network administrator and it did nothing. Just said the security database did not have an account with this trust relationship. Wha???
Expert:  Byron replied 3 months ago.

Turn on file and printer sharing after you join it to the WORKGROUP, then join the domain.