bbao
bbao, System Administrator
Experience:  Certified Information Systems Security Professional / Certified Information Security Manager / Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
96068672

I have Sonic Wall mobile connect up and running on a Kindle

Customer Question

I have Sonic Wall mobile connect up and running on a Kindle Fire. I cannot get any of the common remote desktops to recognize the available ported IP number and port, so I do not get asked for a login.
JA: Have you tried having password ***** directions emailed to you?
Customer: I am the sysadmin for he Sonic Wall, so I wrote the ID and passwords.
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Sonic Wall Mobile Connect shows that it is connected. From that point, no RDP will start and grab the connection currently available. Most want to create their own vpn.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I tried starting 8 different RDPs. I checked the Sonic Wall server to see that I am loggedin remotely.
JA: Anything else you want the network expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: My sonic wall mobile connect works perfectly on a Win 10 tablet. I use a geniune Microsoft remote desktop to create a working screenshot of the server.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Networking
Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

You have tried the SonicWALL Mobile Connect on W10 and it connects well, that basically means the VPN gateway side should be working as expected. You have tried different RDPs and no one works as expected though the VPN status is connected. Is my understanding correct?

If yes, you haven't tried any protocols other than RDP. Are you able to PING or access your internal website once VPN is connected from Kindle Fire?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Once I am on the link (which Mobile connect shows connected) I cannot initiate anything from the Fire. If there is a terminal screen, I have never found it. In any event, once the link is up, I must select one of the machines on the distant network and log in. None of the RDP Android devices I have tried give me this--almost all of them want to link me to the developer's own server as a routing mechanism. I clearly do not want to do that. Are there any true analogs of the Windows Microsoft Remote Desktop that will simply ask me for the IP number, the user name and the password ***** a machine on the distant network? I have read countless references, even on MS sites, to the Microsoft Remote Desktop for Android, but have never actually found it on any version of the Amazon App Store. Play.Google.Com usually bounces me out, telling me that the software is not available in my country. BTW: Is there a built in command line processor in the Fire Android installation?
Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.
It sounds interesting. Instead of the default automatic settings, did you ever try manually using static IP, default remote gateway and DNS server in the app's settings?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have to use the manual settings, since I generate the exported IP number in the Sonic Wall device on the server. The RDP packages do not give me a clean setup, as does MS Remote Desktop. Almost all of them connect to their own server as an intermediate step, not to the port I have open.
Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.
> I have to use the manual settings
I am a bit confused now. Do you mean if you use manual settings then everything can work? What to happen if you use all default, automatic settings?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I finally found one remote desktop that worked, but not nearly as well as the Microsoft remote desktop. I needed to know which remote desktop would ask me for my machine address and login information and recognize that connection in the port that I had opened via Sonic Wall Mobile Connect. That is all I needed. You tried to debug network connections, without giving me any information on products that might work. Thanks for the effort, but you did not help with useful information.
Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

I opt out so you can seek more helps from other experts.