Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

R6250 router set to AP. Samsung UN32J5500AF Smart tv. I can

Customer Question

R6250 router set to AP. Samsung UN32J5500AF Smart tv. I can connect via LAN. Will not connect Via WI-FI
JA: Have you tested the connections by doing a ping utility test?
Customer: Ping what - TV or Router? TV not connected so how do I ping it?
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: History - Bought TV in Dec 15. ATT Modem to UVerse. R2650 as Router. Hooked up wireless to TV. March 2016. ATT replaced modem with modem/router 2.4GHz only. WLAN to R6250. R6250 changed to IP's of 10.0.0.x. Lost TV connection. Did not get it back. Recently changed to AP. ATT Modem/Router furnishing addressing. - more to follow -
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: connection to TV via LAN provides internet. TV has been moved temporaily to where the router is. Tried DNS 8.8.8.8 (Google) can't see why 8.8.4.4 would be of any help. Did try and got a hookup via wireless directly to the ATT modem. I really don't want to go this route because the DL speed sucks - it's were I live. wanted to use the GB's I have to buffer streaming.
JA: Anything else you want the network expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Anything you can think of???
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Networking
Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

Basically you mean your Smart TV can connect to the router via wired connection but can't work over wireless, thought it worked on wireless before. Correct?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

I guess you are technical enough to understand DHCP stuff. Are you sure your TV is using DHCP not static IP?

Also after switching to a new ATT modem/router, did the SSID changed? If the same SSID is used, did you try removing the SSID and reconnect? FYI - the previous SSID setting on TV won't work as its MAC address was changed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You did is not get the rest of what I sent to netgear so here it is. Attached replaced their modem with a mdem/router 2.4Ghz only. I run a 802.11 Ac local net. The DL speed really sucks but it's all I'm offered. I plan their roster to mine. Netgear automatically changes to a address of
10.0.0.x . That was when the TV dropped off of the internet. I could not reconnect to a 10 ip so I decided to AP the router to revert back to the 192.168.1.x IP.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Auto correct sucks - WLAN not plan!
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Router not roster
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ATT not attached.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Let me add that "get DNS from existing router" is selected.
Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

If the private subnet 10.0.0.0/24 is configured on the new ATT modem/router and it is not your preferred IP scheme, it can be changed. Just go to the modem/router's web console, change its internal LAN IP subnet to 192.168.1.0/24 (by setting the router itself 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0).

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Router as an AP has been assigned a 192.1 68.1.64 IP. Other devices ttched are also .65 .66 .67 etc. The LAN attached TV is 192.168.1.75. ADressind
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
To cont. Addressing is handled by the ATT device.
Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

So all IP addresses are now on 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 subnet? Any special considerations for giving the router an IP at 192.168.1.64?

If so, why it seems the old 10.0.0.x IPs are still bothering you now?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The .64 address was furnished by the ATT device. The started their DNS block at the
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Cont at that value. My assumption is that they were trying to avoid stepping on other possible IP. I placed no great significant to it. All. iP in the block should work.
Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

mmm.... are you inputing on a mobile? That's a bit difficult to understand your wording. :)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Want to change to something else???
Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

> Are you sure your TV is using DHCP not static IP?

It seems you are using static IP now? Including the TV?

> Also after switching to a new ATT modem/router, did the SSID changed? If the same SSID is used, did you try removing the SSID and reconnect? FYI - the previous SSID setting on TV won't work as its MAC address was changed.

Did you do the above things? You haven't directly answered those questions.

Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

Sorry I can't be available for a while. I opt out and let other experts help you.

Expert:  Byron replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. If your router is set to AP mode it will

not be handing out IP addresses. An AP only passes traffic through to your main router. If the ATT router is

handing out 10.x.x.x addresses then that is what your TV should be getting as long as it is set to automatically \get

an IP address.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not using 10 address!! ATT device is furnishing 192.168.1.0 to .255. TV acquires IP 192.168.1.76 Subnet 255.255.255.0; GAteway 192.168.1.254 and DNS 192.168.1.254 (from ATT Device through R6250 router). TV does not connect!!
Expert:  Byron replied 1 month ago.

When you tried the DNS address of 8.8.8.8,

was that set on the TV or on the ATT router?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
TV DNS
Expert:  Byron replied 1 month ago.

Can you set that on the router?

Expert:  Byron replied 1 month ago.

AT&T router

Expert:  Byron replied 1 month ago.

Can you also temporarily hook the TV up to the router via ethernet and go into the system menu

and check if there are any software updates available for the TV.