Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

I have an arris surfboard modem/router from comcast. I have

Customer Question

I have an arris surfboard modem/router from comcast. I have put it into bridge mode, so I can run my own router off it, or use an old computer as a router. The surfboard only shows me the wan up and wan defual gateway/shop. I want to use a static up and can not figure out the up configuration. Can you help?
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular Comcast product?
Customer: A decent amount. I'm forced to use comcast, and they always give you surf boards. O worked on IT for a bit, so I'm familiar, but comcast uses a strange up configuration
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: What do you mean?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: Oh, I would like to not use DHPC, and use a static up address. I know the gateways address, comcast locals ip, but I can not figure out the correct IPV4 setting my wireless card to act as the router
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Look up web forms. Used diagnostics. And now I'm ask8ng you. Any advice?
JA: Anything else you want the network expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No maam
Category: Networking
Expert:  bbao replied 7 months ago.

Are you sure you are using an old computer as a router?

Expert:  bbao replied 7 months ago.

Is it an ADSL connection? If yes, your ISP may require you to input username and password ***** authentication over PPPoE. I am afraid if your old computer can do that.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The computer is not that old. It is an go shook with a dual band n wifi nic. The comcast surfboard is broadband high speed internet. I have put the surfboard on bridge mode, so it just a modem now. And the laptop is connected via 1 gigs cat5. I know the ip address for the surfboard I'm non bridge mode, but now that it is briged, the web interface is just displaying the Wan config. I need to just set up to lan on my comp to use it as a router
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What in for do I put into the IPV4 configuration
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Refund my money and purge my card information and PPI fro m your system.
Expert:  bbao replied 7 months ago.

You may simply let a computer directly connect to the modem, make sure the computer is on DHCP, see if you can receive a public IP. If not, you probably need to be authenticated for PPPoE.