bbao
bbao, System Administrator
Experience:  Certified Information Systems Security Professional / Certified Information Security Manager / Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
96068672

Purchased new Nighthawk AC 1900 Router today. Our wireless

Customer Question

Purchased new Nighthawk AC 1900 Router today. Our wireless devices don't hook up. the router displays and shows full signal, but no internet service will connect.
JA: Have you done a bandwidth test?
Customer: I see 5 bars of service but I don't know exactly what you are referring to.
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Before what popped up? I am typing you on a wired system.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I used the directions that came with the router. There is no troubleshooting section. Never talks about what to do
JA: Anything else you want the network expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: not really
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Networking
Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

Are you able to access the Internet over wired connection via the router? Are you able to access its management console using the default username and password (or your own password ***** you have changed the default one)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
on 1 wired device I can. On 1 older wired device I cannot. I use the preset wireless settings username and password ***** set up. Have not change them. I am not sure about using the management console. Not sure what you mean by that
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I googled and found how to log into my Netgear home router but it says that I'm not connected to my router, but I am connected to my router. In looking for help maybe I have an IP address issue.
Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

Okay first double check if below link is the product you have.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/D7000

> Yes on 1 wired device I can

You mean you can access Internet over wired connection from a device of you, correct?

> I use the preset wireless settings username and password ***** set up

You mean you just unboxed the device, and there are preset username and password ***** the device or wireless password (no username) only?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just inboxed the device and used the preset wireless settings and network key password *****
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No. that is not the correct device. I have a nighthawk AC 1900 smart Wi-Fi router
Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

This one?

http://www.netgear.com.au/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R7000.aspx

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

Great, let me check the details and get back to you soon.

Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

Okay, please see attached the screenshot of part of the device's installation guide. I guess you have seen the Wi-Fi network name and password ***** on the product label. If so, are you able to see the given network name (SSID) from the wireless network list on your device?

Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

Again, please confirm this question:

> Yes on 1 wired device I canYou mean you can access Internet over wired connection from a device of you, correct?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have 2 computers that are hard wired into the router. I am on the internet with one of them.
Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

> I am on the internet with one of them.

Not bad, that's a good starting point.

Now from that Internet connected computer, open your web browser, type "www.routerlogin.net" in the address bar and press ENTER to access the router's management console. Once asked for username and password, type "admin" and "password" respectively. Once logged in, let me know.

Again, please let me know:

If so, are you able to see the given network name (SSID) from the wireless network list on your device?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have tried that but I get a message that says you are not connected to your router's Wi-Fi network. To access the router login.net your device must be connected to your router's Wi-Fi network check your current connection and try again.
Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

> I have tried that but I get a message that says you are not connected to your router's Wi-Fi network.

I know you are not connected to the Wireless network, but I want to know if you can see the given network name (SSID) from the network list. The SSID is given on the product label as mentioned above. This will tell me if the router's wireless is working or not.

Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

> To access the router login.net your device must be connected to your router's Wi-Fi network check your current connection and try again.

That's a bit weird. Can you please show me a screenshot telling what the exact error message you got in your browser?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
NETGEAR34 is the SSID
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can see NETGEAR34 on all my wireless devices and they have all bars showing they are receiving signal, but also s message that there is no internet access
Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

This means you really need to login at 192.168.1.1 or www.routerlogin.net to check if any settings is wrong. Please do this on that Internet connected computer.

If it is really difficult for you to manage the things like accessing the router's console and adjusting the settings, I may offer remote assistance service at your cost ($39). That way we may share the same screen and speak over the phone, and I may help you get things done remotely and directly.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think I have some kind of IP address conflict. I have already been through the IP addresses suggested by NetGear's tech manuals and cannot access any of them to control the router.
Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

FYI - the remote assistance is 100% guaranteed. If the things can't be done, you will receive the full refund.

If you think you can handle the router settings with my guide and do prefer chatting here at Q&A page, I am happy to help this way as well. Be aware, it might be lengthy, as I can't see what happens your side and your description might be missing some key details I need.

Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

> I think I have some kind of IP address conflict.

Your computer is not using DHCP (Automatic IP address)?

> cannot access any of them to control the router.

Not sure what you mean. Can you successfully log in at 192.168.1.1 using the default username and password?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No. I get s message that says this page can't be displayed.
Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

> No. I get s message that says this page can't be displayed.

From that Internet connected, wired computer?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am on a hard wired computer and can go all over the internet. But none of the op addresses seem to work. One of The suggested ones does go to my modem but none go to my router
Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

> One of The suggested ones does go to my modem but none go to my router

Your modem? This is the first time to mention that. What's model of it? It should be normally staying before your router and can't be "seen" by your computer directly. Does your network look like below?

Internet <-> Modem <-> AC 1900 Router <-> Your computer

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
From the wall cable into the modem and from the modem to the router and then from the router into the computer.
Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

Okay, thanks for the confirmation.

Now I need to know your computer's internal IP address. What's the operating system running on that Internet connected computer?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My computers internal IP address is 192.168.1.5. According to my IP config the default gateway is 192.168.1.1. However, I still get that that page cannot be found. Operating system is windows 7 home premium service pack 1 on a 64-bit operating system
Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

Okay, it seems you are technical, so let me explain why somethings are unusual here.

If you do mean you can see your modem's web page from your computer (192.168.1.5) when accessing 192.168.1.1, that means you are on the same subnet of where your modem stays. That means your new router is not properly connected, or specifically its Internet port (yellow) is not connected. I guess probably your modem's LAN port is connected to one of your new router's four LAN ports. Please check.

Moreover, as the new your router's Internet port is not connected, none of your wireless device can access the Internet even correct password ***** *****

Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

Just make it clearly: you need to use a wired cable to connect your modem's LAN port and the new router's Internet port (yellow one).

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I know all of that and have checked it multiple times. I have sent many networks up in the past. I know how to do it. The cord going from the modem into the router goes into the only place that's turned yellow all the others are black that go from the router to the computers. I still can't get the wired computer to go to the Netgear Genie set up website. However I did reset my router and have gone back to my wireless laptop to see if I could get it to work. Right now it appears it is working. It allowed me on the genie site and just allowed me to finish completing the installation. I may have figured this out.
Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

You mean, after resetting the new router, everything works fine as expected now?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think so. My wireless laptop is connected to internet now and was able to access the IP address site for the router
Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

Good to know that. Is there anything else that I could help with?

Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

Just double check the status, your Nighthawk AC 1900 smart Wi-Fi router works well now?

Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

As your laptop is connected now, please kindly accept my helpful suggestions as the answer and close this question. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I ended up figuring out the issue myself. He was nice but his efforts did not result in a solution.