Joseph Varner
Joseph Varner,
Experience:  Enterprise Support Specialist at Arthur J Gallagher
94318210

I'm trying to connect an IP phone to a PBX but not having

Customer Question

Hi there, I'm trying to connect an IP phone to a PBX but not having much luck. Was browsing the web for some hopeful answer and came across your site :)
JA: Have you tested the connections by doing a ping utility test?
Customer: I can ping the IP phone from a PC on the network, and I can ping another pc from the IP phone.... however I cannot ping the PBX from the IP phone....
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: This is the first time I'm trying to connect an IP phone
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Restarted the PBX, IP phone, network switch. Tried changing cables
JA: Anything else you want the network expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Cant think of anything else right now - PS, I know a little about networks, but I'm not brilliant :)
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Joseph Varner replied 1 month ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist!

Typically, older PBX systems aren't compatible with VOIP (Voice over IP) systems. Can you tell me if this is a newer PBX, or is this an older one? Do you also have the make and model of both the PBX and the phone?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Joe, thanks for coming back to me.We have a Panasonic NCP-500 PBX, and a KX-NT343 IP Phone. The IP phone is getting an IP address from the DHCP server, gateway and subnet mask are also set automatically. The IP phone just does not seem to want to ping the PBX, even though I can ping the PBX from a pc on the same network. The same goes the other way, I can ping the IP Phone from a PC.

Doing some digging on that issue -

Doublecheck the IP address, subnet mask address, PBX IP address, and default gateway address.

Barring that, there could be an issue with the IPCMPR or DSP cards, which means they will need replacement if that is the case.

Anything else I can do for you?