Jason Fenoglio
Jason Fenoglio, Sr. Systems Engineer
Experience:  Sr. Systems Engineer
94203781

I have a netgear switch. on 2 of the eight ports only 1 of

Customer Question

I have a netgear switch. on 2 of the eight ports only 1 of the 2 lights is lit. what does that mean? what can i do to fix it?
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular Netgear router?
Customer: it's a switch, not a router. the switch is about one year in use.
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: An application on the pc on the other end has frozen several times.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: unplugging and re pluging the cables
JA: Anything else you want the network expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Jason Fenoglio replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. Give me a few minutes to look over your question and I will respond shortly.

If you have a light out on a connected port, either there is 1) no power on the connected device, 2) the port on the connected device is defective or disabled or 3) the port on the switch is disabled. You can test to see if it is a switch port problem by moving the cable that is plugged in the working, lit port into the port that is not lit. If the port does not turn on, then the switch port is defective. If the light comes on, then the device that was previously connected to that port has a problem with it's network card. Can you do this test and then inform me of the results?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
when i move the cable to another port in the switch I get the same result

What happens if you move the cable from the port that is lit to the one is not?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When I move the cable to another port I get the same result: only 1 of the 2 lights is lit. When I move another cable into that port both lights are on.

So now all of the cables that are plugged in have lights now?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, the cable that had only 1 light has only 1 light lit no matter which port in switch A I plug it. I should add that this cable goes into another switch B with 3 ports and each port has only 1 light lit. This switch B then is connected to the PC with the problem as well as a credit card machine.

I see. So that is your Uplink cable for the second switch. Does the Credit Card machine have any issues?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We don't use that so often but we have not experienced any issues with it that we know of.

It sounds like the PC that is plugged into the port is having the problem then. Can the PC connect to your applications or the internet?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it does connect to apps and the internet, but as I mentioned occasionally the one app freezes up from time to time
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
any way I can test the PC?

It's possible that the NIC might be going out on it. You might be able to test it now and it will work fine but it might be starting to fail. What type of PC is this?

A faulty network card would cause application lock ups too.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
HP Pavilion

Do you know what the model number is? It should be on a tag affixed to the side or back.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
a6542p

It looks like the NIC is on the motherboard but there are 2 PCI slots for adding a new NIC card. Do you have something like a Best Buy near you?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Well it doesn't look like Best Buy sells those cards anymore. Do you have another computer store near by?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'd have to do some research, none that I can think of.

They do sell them on Newegg and they are very reputable. I use them all the time. If you can wait a little while for it, it's very cheap and easy to install. Here's an example of what will work with your PC.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704060&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Network+-+Interface+Cards-_-N82E16833704060&gclid=CjwKEAjw-Oy_BRDg4Iqok57a4kcSJADsuDK11fvr-Ud3XS6ayjE2dMPk1Er8PYVIa8ueOXm3fXkQYBoC_wHw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

This one will work too. It's a little cheaper.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704011

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
okay. I'll give this a try. Thanks.

You're welcome. Please make sure to rate my service with the stars at the top of the chat window before you go.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok

If you have anymore question, let me know.