bbao
bbao, System Administrator
Experience:  Certified Information Systems Security Professional / Certified Information Security Manager / Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
96068672

I am trying to set up a Belkin F5D7132 Range Extender which

Customer Question

I am trying to set up a Belkin F5D7132 Range Extender which was working on my network but I reset it wanting to set security. The manuals and discs are nowhere to be found. I am on a MacBook. I reset it and now I am not seeing it at all. I have it plugged into our main router on an ethernet cable
JA: How many access points are you utilizing?
Customer: I have a Netgear main router, and a Linksys router as an auxiliary, and now this Blekin. It was all working until I decided to reset. I wasn't comfortable not having a security setting
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: What popped iup?
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Reset it
JA: Anything else you want the network expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Networking
Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

Hi There. I am Bing and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

Is this the product you are referring to?

http://cache-www.belkin.com/support/dl/p74992_f5d7132_man_uk.pdf

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No I don't think you connecting to my device is necessary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
On the front of the Belkin I have a solid green power light, a flashing red searching light , a solid green sometimes flashing wireless and lan light
Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

I am thinking what are the steps for you to reconnect the device, not to connect your computer. :)

Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

Good finding.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Where are we on this discussion?
Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

Did you try using its Auto Connect Button?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
but I have an ethernet cable directly into the unit from a port on the mail router
Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

mall router?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It was all working before I reset it. Someone had set this up a while back and I don't have the disc. I tried to get in the unit using 192.168.2.254 but could not access it
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You still out there?
Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

Is below your topology to test the extender?

<your computer> 1.1.1.2 <-> 1.1.1.1 <home router facing internet> <-> ?.?.?.? <extender> ) ) ) ) 1.1.1.3 <mobile device>

Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

where <-> means ethernet connection while ))) means wireless

Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

IPs 1.1.1.x are for example, the actual IPs like 192.168.x.x depend on your existing configuration. Please advise if you know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Right now I am computer <-> secondary router <-> extender ))) mobile device
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I know the IP of my main router and secondary router.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do you actually know what to do?
Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

You do mean your computer and secondary router are now internet accessible. Okay, if so, please advise the IPs of your computer and secondary IP. How is your main router connected?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Main router is connected to the cable modem with an IP of 192.168.1.1
My secondary router is 192.168.1.4
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
my ethernet connection on the mac is 192.168.1.10
Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

What's the point for you to use 2nd router here?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am in a church which is a large facility I need all three access points and it was all great and wronging until I decided to reset this damn Belkin to attempt to password ***** it. Maybe I should just go buy another router and set it up
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Because we don't seem to be getting anywhere
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That should read all working
Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

Okay, your main router is internet facing over its cable connection. your 2nd router sounds like working as an AP only, not a router if its WAN port is not connected at all. If this is the case, one your Mac, change its IP from DHCP to manual with IP 192.168.2.250.

Once done (changes applied), use your Mac's browser to visit 192.168.2.254, you should be able to see your extender's web console. Then change extender's IP to 192.168.1.5 if allowed.

Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

Once finished, change your Mac's IP back to Auto then you can access all routers and extender (192.168.1.5) at the same time.

Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

I assume all masks are 255.255.255.0. If any device you mentioned is using a different subnet mask, that could be a problem. You must tell me the correct information.

Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

Done?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
where do I make the change on the Mac? I assume under preferences but where and do I leave the hook up the way I described meaning Cable <-> router <-> second router <-> my mac and the belkin
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I believe all devices are subnet 255.255.255.0
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are we still connected?
Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

Check the screenshot attached. Change your settings per given example.

Be aware that once change to the given IP, you won't able to access the internet, you can only access the extender.

Change the extender's IP to 192.168.1.5, then change you Mac's IP back to Auto, then you can see all of them.

Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

Done?

Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

Any feedback please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I gave up your advice wasn't working I just replaced the extender with a Linksys router which I understand better and they have great free phone support
Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.
If you simply replace an extender with an AP (wireless router with no DHCP), it sounds easy and workable but it does have throughput issue (1/2 bandwidth wasted) when both legs (incoming and outgoing traffic) are wireless based. To avoid this issue, make sure the connection between the primary router and the AP is wired.
I guess your IP setting for configuring the extender was wrong (though you might think it was correct). hence you can't reach the extender's management IP address.
if the extender has no hardware issue and if remote access is available, I have a tricke to remotely configure it and get things done.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks I was not succeeding with your suggestions and could never get the extenders internal menu. Very frustrating but as mentioned I moved on and installed a Linksys router. The DHCP IS is disabled and the unit does have a direct Ethernet connection from the main router. The wiring is Ethernet port to Ethernet so LAN to LAN. It seems to work fine. Is there a disadvantage to this set up?
Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.
As mentioned in my previous comment, LAN to LAN wired connection has NO throughput disadvantage because the incoming leg from wireless clients and the outgoing leg to main router are on different. physical link.