Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft

I do have a router at my office serving 3 desktops through

Customer Question

I do have a router at my office serving 3 desktops through wifi, very basic configuration, just to provide internet to the computers, all with Windows 10. I need a configuration where anytime anyone wants to download anything from the internet, a password ***** ***** to allow the download. I understand that the easiest and or best way to set this up is to do it through a firewall or through some sort of settings in the router. I need the same at home, where the router serves a Win10 desktop and sometimes a win10 notebook and or an Android tablet. Please advise (in case it is needed, browsers are firefox, IE and Edge)
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Tim replied 18 days ago.

Hey Joe, I'm Tim and will be helping you....There is no such way to do what you are requesting......there are no protocols on any router that prompt you for a password ***** download something online, you can block sites etc, but if someone can access a site, and there is a downloadable link, they can download it. Now there is probably software that can be installed on systems that does this.

Expert:  Tim replied 18 days ago. is one such piece of software. But it is a software solution, there is no networking solution.

Expert:  Tim replied 18 days ago.

If you are on a domain, you can also use domain permissions to do so, so i guess that is kind of a networking solution, i doubt you are on a domain, and its harder to manage than the software.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you. I noticed it is designed for IE and then it says "Other web browsers could give similar messages, or they could just sit there forever expecting the download to start. The end result is, the users cannot download programs anymore while they still should be able to use the existing programs!". Since Edge is a new browser that already comes with Windows, would this apply to it as well?
Expert:  Tim replied 18 days ago.

I would expect edge to act exactly like Internet explorer, since it is the same browser, but just renamed. There are other options out there as well as far as software goes. I would assume the one i listed to block all downloads.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I downloaded the trial version, activated it, then went and still downloaded something. Nothing stopped the download. I don't want you to give me tech support on this, but if you are familiar with the product and can give me some suggestions from the top of your head, I'll appreciate it
Expert:  Tim replied 18 days ago.

give me minute please.

Expert:  Tim replied 18 days ago.

i'm not familiar with that product and would need to download it and install it myself. Since you don't want support, i'm happy to let you go.

Expert:  Tim replied 18 days ago.

i'm going to set it up for my own interests.

Expert:  Tim replied 18 days ago.

It let me download as well.

Expert:  Tim replied 18 days ago.

I'm trying another one, let me know if you would rather i drop it.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
If you can find me a solution, I'd rather wait
Expert:  Tim replied 18 days ago.

its going to be a software solution, im looking, doing all I can man...

Expert:  Tim replied 18 days ago.

Just thought of something....if you have Admin on that machine, the software is useless.....the user needs to not be admin. Admin overrides that software.

Expert:  Tim replied 18 days ago.

Make sense? Needs to be tested on an account that does not have local admin, local admin supersedes all

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Prior exchange was based on actions I took on an account that was at the same time the Admin account. I switched to the the other non-Admin account, but results were exactly the same. I was able to download and install a software without being prompted a password.
Expert:  Tim replied 18 days ago.

Odd, that's not what the software clams...You may need to consider adding a domain controller and going about it that way, or continue looking for a software solution, guest accounts can not install software either, but that is probably not ideal.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I want to try through the accounts admin route. One account in my pc already is admin the other is not. My User Account Control settings are already to the max and so is Smart Screen settings. This is supposed to prompt a password ***** anything new is downloaded, but it doesn’t and this includes the non admin account. Can you suggest a solution?
Expert:  Tim replied 15 days ago.

Yes, again a domain controller.....