Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

Don`t know, just getting black screen? not sure what all

Customer Question

don`t know, just getting black screen?
JA: Can you describe your network setup (devices and cables used)?
Customer: not sure what all that means
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: using a laptop, with cable to tv?
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: deleting cookies? cant find them
JA: Anything else you want the network expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: help? it worked last year
Category: Networking
Expert:  Randy IT Tech replied 6 months ago.

Hi ,

My name is***** am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.

I will be glad to assist you with this.

You can reply to me here by typing in the box below please.

Are you connecting to the tv with an hdmi cable?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
hdmi

okay, thank you.

Have you tried changing the input to the tv on your remote control?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I just paid 30$ and didn't ask for a free trial.

okay,

Which version of Windows is on your computer? 7,8,10, etc...

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
actually 35$ version 7 home

okay, I can get you to customer service when we get your issue resolved and they will help you with your account info. I do not have any access to that information. I only do the tech support.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
this seems to be getting nowhere. Please refund my money. Thank you have a nice day

I can help you get that working. Try right clicking on your windows 7 desktop screen, then choose graphic options, then choose duplicate this display.

Configure the Display Settings

When you connect an external monitor to a laptop, the default setting creates a mirror image of your laptop screen on the external monitor. In contrast, when you connect an external monitor to a desktop computer, the display defaults to extend these displays. You should be able to drag a window from one monitor to the other without changing any settings.

Method 1: Win + P Keyboard Shortcut.

1. Close all open programs.
  2. Hold down the Windows logo key and press the P key on your keyboard.
    Select one of the following options:
    • Computer only: This setting will show the screen image only on your laptop monitor.
    • Duplicate: This setting will duplicate your laptop screen image on both monitors based on the monitor with the lower resolution.
    • Extend: This setting allows you to move a window from one monitor to the other by clicking the Title Bar of the window and dragging the window to a new location.
    • Projector only: This setting is typically chosen when your laptop is used as a desktop computer, so you can enjoy the higher resolution of a large external monitor.

Method 2: Screen Resolution Menu.

1. Close all open programs.
  2. Right-click an empty area on your desktop, and then click Screen Resolution.
  3. Click the Multiple Displays drop-down list, and then select Extend These Displays or Duplicate These Displays.
    If you cannot see the additional monitor(s) listed, click Detect. If it does not work, try restarting your computer and repeat steps 1 and 2.
    • Duplicate these displays: This setting will duplicate your laptop screen image on both monitors based on the monitor with the lower resolution.
    • Extend these displays: This setting allows you to move a window from one monitor to the other by clicking the title bar of the window and dragging the window to a new location.
    • Show desktop only on 1: This setting is typically chosen when your laptop is used as a desktop computer so you can enjoy the higher resolution of a large external monitor.
  4. Click Identify Monitors to see which monitor is number 1 and which is number 2; then drag the monitor icons to reorder their positions to match the physical setup you have chosen.
  5. Click the Resolution drop down menu, and select a screen resolution by moving the slider arrow right or left; then click OK.
  6. If the new settings are compatible, your computer screen will reappear with the new settings in place. To change display resolution settings back to the previous setting, hold down the Windows Logo key and press the P key to change the mode to computer only.
  7. Click Yes if you want to keep the new settings.
  8. Restart your computer to ensure that the changes are saved.

Did that work for you?