bbao
bbao, System Administrator
Experience:  Certified Information Systems Security Professional / Certified Information Security Manager / Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
96068672

Cannot get my d link dir 850L to connect to the internet.

Customer Question

cannot get my d link dir 850L to connect to the internet. internet lamp is lit steady orange on the dir 850l
Category: Networking
Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

Hi There. I am Bing and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

Are you able to access the router from LAN side via web?

Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

What type of broadband connection do you have? ADSL2, Cable, or Fiber, or something else?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
adsl
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
if i turn on devices such as tablets and phones I will see the wifi signal from the router
Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

OK, that means you have an external DSL modem in the middle, sitting between your router and the socket on the wall. Is it correct?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
that is correct
Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

I guess you know where to input PPPoE username and password ***** DSL authentication. Once the credential inputted, what error message do you see? If you can't see anything directly on the configuration page, try go to the router's system log for details.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have inputted the user PPPoE username and password ***** the router and I do not recall getting an error message at that time or when I tried connecting to the internet using the router. I can check the router system log. Will I lose you when I disconnect the ethernet cable to go into the router to check the log?
Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

> Will I lose you when I disconnect the ethernet cable to go into the router to check the log?

Why do you need to disconnect Ethernet cable? The system log can be seen via web console if you are already connected to the router via web.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am sorry I think you have lost me. Please tell me how to get into the system via web console.
Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

> how to get into the system via web console.

? If you can input PPPoE username and password, you are already in the router's web console.

OK, please do the following test first. If this test can't be passed, I would recommend a remote assistance for a quick fix.

Your DSL modem should have an Ethernet port, use an Ethernet cable directly connect the modem's LAN port and your computer, make sure your computer is DHCP enable so it can obtain an IP from the modem.

Once connected, check your computer's IP, say if it is 192.168.1.100, then your modem's IP should be 192.168.1.1, type this later into the computer browser's address bar, let me know if your can see modem's configuration page. Please also check if you can visit the internet directly.

Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

Basically I am asking you test the modem separately to make sure it is working as expected. This will help us determine what to do on your router.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry to take so much time. OK I have the router connected to my other laptop and I can go into all the settings in the router. From this laptop I can go into the modem and see all the settings. Incidentally, I have no problem connecting to the internet using any of the laptops via the adsl modem. The problem is connecting to the internet through the router. according to the dir 850L manual, when the internet light on the unit is steady orange, internet is present but router is unable to connect to it. Yes the modem works fine.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Bing B are you there?
Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

YES!

Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

> Incidentally, I have no problem connecting to the internet using any of the laptops via the adsl modem.

That's what I guess!

Your modem is already connected to the Internet, so the router behind the modem no need to set up PPPoE connection (no PPPoE username and password ***** required). You simply change your router's WAN interface to DHCP then you should be able to connect!

Please try it now.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks. I have changed the settings to DHCP. The router is not seeing the change. when I go to "save settings" it comes back and say "settings have not changed."
Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

Can you please post a screenshot telling the error message and which section of configuration it is? Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am not sure I know how to post screenshot of error message and section of configuration. But I can tell you. I am in the dir 850L WAN and setup internet. Internet connection type - Dynamic DHCP; PPPoE; etc. Host name:,,,,,,,,,,, Use Unicasting ,,,,,,,,,
Primary DNS Server............... Secondary DNS Server .................. MTU 1500. MAC Address................................ Clone Your PC MAC Address.
Save settings Don't save settings
Is this the info you are looking for?
Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

Yes, that's right place. If the problem persists, you may simply power off the router, wait for 30 seconds and power it on again and check if the settings have been applied.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am going to try that now
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just powered up the router. Looks like the new settings are saved in the router. I will now need to unplug the Ethernet cable from my modem and plug into the router to see if it can now connect to the internet. Is there a way to come back to you to confirm if the router works?
Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

Yes, now use an Ethernet cable to connect the modem's LAN port to the router's WAN port, then connect a computer to router's LAN port or via wireless, see if you can access the Internet now?

I can be reached here at JustAnswer, just leave a message here.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Bing B,
It is Art. There is some progress. When I plug the Ethernet cable from the modem into the router the internet light on the router became solid green. I then plug another Ethernet cable into one of the LAN ports on the router and the other end into the laptop. Result: I had no internet connection on the laptop. I did not try any other device.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you there Bing B?
Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

Yes!

Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

Strange, what I replied seems gone. I was retyping it.

Now you need to access the routers' web console and check its WAN IP address (it should be an internal IP as the router is behind the modem (actually it is working as modem plus router now).

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What should I be looking for on the screen that you mentioned and what values should be inserted if any?
Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

Got the WAN IP address? It should be at the Status > Device Info page.

Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

See the screenshot below.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
IP address is as shown in your screenshot. My MAC address is different.
Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

If you click the RENEW button, nothing happens?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
nothing happened. The IP address remained the same
Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

Do you mean you have tried their account recovery page, and the support request?

If so, as the last resort, you need ask their customer service team to step in.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Clicked RENEW button. No changes IP Address remains the same.
Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

Looks not that good. :(

Is it a brand new router? Anyway, I would recommend you to reset router and give it one more try. Once reset, nothing to change for the router settings, just connect the modem to its WAN port and try accessing the Internet from any of the router's LAN ports.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No. Not a new router. It was working fine until a couple weeks ago. Will try resetting the router and try again. Then not change any settings connect to the WAN port and try accessing internet through a LAN port on router
Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

> It was working fine until a couple weeks ago

What's the problem a couple weeks ago?

Yes, the default settings should be connected as the modem has done everything a router does.

IF, I mean IF the router's WAN interface still does not work, I got an alternative solution for you. You just disable the router's DHCP server, then connect the modem to the router' LAN port. This basically make your router as an AP, you use your modem as router, nothing changed for your client PCs and mobile devices.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry. Still cannot access internet via router. Any further suggestions?
Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

It is highly likely a hardware fault on the WAN port. So here are the recommended solutions.

1. Check the original purchase date, if it is still under vendor's warranty, go get it repaired or replaced.

2. Use it as an AP, combining with a working modem, practically it make no difference comparing to a working WAN port on the router. as I mentioned above "an alternative solution for you. You just disable the router's DHCP server, then connect the modem to the router'LAN port. This basically make your router as an AP, you use your modem as router, nothing changed for your client PCs and mobile devices."

Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

Does the 2nd approach work for you?