Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., System Administrator
Experience:  Ten plus years of working experience in the field of computers and networks. Familiar with windows and Linux networking.
50064670

I have 127 mbps of internet download speed coming from my

Customer Question

I have 127 mbps of internet download speed coming from my modem but once it goes through my router it drops to 35 mbps. How do I fix this?
JA: Can you describe your network setup (devices and cables used)?
Customer: Umm, Cisco modem provided by Midco along with their cables
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Before what popped up?
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: None yet, I called Midco and they verified it was my router
JA: Anything else you want the network expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: None that I can think of
Category: Networking
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 2 months ago.

Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

Can you please give me the Manufacturer and Model details of your modem and router ?

Regards
Jins

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Netgear Model# *****
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry that was just the router, the modem is Cisco Model DPC3010 provided by midco

Is this router connected to the modem as wireless ? If so can you connect the modem and router with wired connection? Please refer this tutorial, it is for Linksys but it is almost same for Netgear also.

Regards

Jins

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They are a wired connection

Please try the following:

1. Launch an Internet browser from the computer.

2. Type http://192.168.1.1 and press Enter.

A login screen displays.

3. Enter the router user name and password.

The user name is admin. The default password ***** password. The user name and password ***** case-sensitive.

The BASIC Home screen displays.

4. Select ADVANCED > Setup > QoS Setup.

5. Clear the Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings (2.4 GHz b/g/n) check box.

6. Clear the Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings (5 GHz b/g/n) check box.

7. Click the Apply button.

Your changes are saved. Restart the Router and check the result.

Regards

Jins

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, now my router turns off every 30 seconds. I had to connect my laptop directly to the modem for this message

It's strange. Okay, re-enable those settings one by one and check the result.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am unable to, it won't hold a connection now, and the netgear symbol is flashing

Check the power connection and the status of power button. Loose power connection on router or loosen power switch may the problem. If problem still persists, remove the adapter and reconnect.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Everything is connected fine and I checked the power button. Reconnecting the adapter didn't work either

Okay,

1. Switch on router
  2. For at least 7 seconds, press the Reset button
  3. Restart of the device is automatically executed
  4. Restoration of standard settings is finished
  5. How is it now?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Still not...
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I realize it only has these power issues when connected with the adapter to the modem. It runs fine when not connected

Okay, please connect the cable from the modem to another port of the router. (If the modem have another port to connect the cable, connect the cable on that port on the moded end also.) If changing the port do not fix the problem, please change the cable that connects the modem and router. A bad crimping or a broken cable inside may cause such issue and that may the cause of the slow speed. Try and let me know the result.

Regards

Jins

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay I got the internet and wifi working again but I only get the same speed as before. My router is capable of up to 1300 mbps and it's only doing 43 mbps out of 127 mbps provided

Is the WMM feature disabled now?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, should it be?

Yes, disable it and check the result.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Same results on speed

Did you tried with a new cable to connect modem and router ? If not please try it and if it also do not helps, please update the firmware of the router and check the speed again. If the problem still persists, contact netgear and replace the router.

Regards

Jins