GeekGal
GeekGal, Network Administrator
Experience:  MIS degree 15+ years Experience as Network Administrator
76665483

Have just purchased a new netgear R8500 router, which is

Customer Question

Have just purchased a new netgear R8500 router, which is hooked up to a satellite Internet connection. It says I'm connected to the internet, I can ping websites ok, but I can't actually get on the internet through either egde or chrome. Tried 3 separate computers, and also wireless and hooked up with cable, same result in all situations. If I connect a computer to the satellite modem directly with cable I can access internet fine...Any ideas?
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular Netgear router?
Customer: About 3 hours now...
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: What popped up? I'm on my phone now, there's no internet connection to computer
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Everything. Everything on netgear website, also phoned the man who installed the satellite, who days it's a issue with the netgear
JA: Anything else you want the network expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Networking
Expert:  Byron replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** this from a Windows computer connected to the router via ethernet.

Hold down the Windows logo key (just to the left of the spacebar) and press R.

The Run box will open.

In the text area type: ncpa.cpl and click OK.

Right-click on the ethernet icon and select Properties.

Select Internet Protocol Version 4 and click the Properties box.

Select Use the following DNS server addresses.

set Preferred DNS to 8.8.8.8

and Alternate to 8.8.4.4

click OK then Close.

Open your browser and see if you can reach a webpage.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** worked for our old computer that has an ethernet port, but not our two main laptops which don't. Furthermore that won't help guests who want to use our WiFi. Surely the change needs to be made in the router?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Actually it's worked when I did the same thing in the wireless settings on the other laptops, but w can't expect guests to have to do that to their computers. Any ideas how to change the router settings? Thanks
Expert:  Byron replied 2 months ago.

I agree. Click the Advanced tab in Netgear Genie.

You want to find the DNS settings for the WAN

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Unfortunately that hasn't worked. I put my computer back to its original settings, then changed the DNS on the router through netgear genie and now I can't connect to the internet again... :-(
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Any more ideas? Thanks
Expert:  Byron replied 2 months ago.

Reboot the router. Remove the power cord for 60 seconds then plug it back in and allow it to fully start up

and reboot the PC as well.

What is the result when you ping www.google.com ?

In Windows 10 click the start button and in All Apps open Windows Accessories>>Internet Explorer

and try that browser.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Did all that, hasn't helped. Still no internet. My husbands computer which still had the change if dns settings on it gets the internet fine...
Expert:  Byron replied 2 months ago.

Maybe that router came from the factory a little out of sorts. There's a reset button

on the back to the left of the on/off switch.

Using something pointed, hold down the button for at least 8 seconds and release to reset

the router. This will reload the firmware and set everything back to factory settings.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've reset it several times...
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

Hi there. My name is*****'m sorry that you've had so much trouble with this. I have a couple of suggestions that may help. First, login to the router and make sure that the settings are still the way that they need to be.They may not be since you've reset the router. If they aren't, please follow the steps to change them.

• Hold down the Windows logo key (just to the left of the spacebar) and press R.
  • The Run box will open.
  • In the text area type: ncpa.cpl and click OK.
  • Right-click on the ethernet icon and select Properties.
  • Select Internet Protocol Version 4 and click the Properties box.
  • Select Use the following DNS server addresses.
  • set Preferred DNS to 8.8.8.8
  • and Alternate to 8.8.4.4
  • click OK then Close.

Next, on your laptop, go to your wireless settings and delete the network connection, then rescan for wireless networks. The network should show up again so you can select it, enter your password ***** join it. You may need to do this on any computers that previously connected to the old router. Anyone coming to your home and connecting for the first time should have no trouble. I believe that your difficulties are caused by the laptops remembering the settings for the previous router, which, clearly, are no longer working. Please try this and let me know the results.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for your help. In the end I spent an hot on the phone with a technician from Netgear who eventually sorted the problem :-)
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hour, not hot!
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

You're welcome. I'm glad that the problem has been resolved. If I was at all helpful, please take a moment to rate my service. I'd really appreciate it! You can give your rating by selecting the stars located on the top right of the question page. As an independent contractor for just answer, I do not receive credit for my answer and I am not compensated in any way without a positive rating.