Viet - Network Tech
Viet - Network Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Great troubleshooting skills with computer and network.
30037186

How do I reset my password on the D link DIR-601

Customer Question

how do I reset my password ***** the D link DIR-601
Category: Networking
Expert:  Viet - Network Tech replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Are you looking for your Wi-Fi / wireless password?

Do you have a laptop / wireless computer that is currently connected via wireless? If so, does it have Windows xp, vista, or 7, 8, 10, or Mac?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I the wifi pass word,

Thank you. Do you also have a laptop / wireless computer that is currently connected via wireless? If so, does it have Windows xp, vista, or 7, 8, 10, or Mac?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I believe it is windows xp

Thank you. Is the internet currently working fine on that computer?

Is that computer currently connected to the D-Link DIR-601 router device with a cable? Or is the connection wireless?

Also, on your computer, can you please click on Start, then click on Control Panel, then open System (or System and Security -> System), and confirm the Windows version it is showing there.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
windows 8

Thank you. Is the internet currently working fine on that Windows 8 computer?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
connection is wireless

To confirm, the internet / websites are currently working fine on that Windows 8 computer. Is that correct?

Or do you mean you need to enter the wi-fi / wireless password ***** that Windows 8 computer?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I called our internet provide, he directed me to the D link website, I have on place that shows wireless settings

Thank you. Please try the following steps on your computer in order to retrieve your DLink DIR-601 router's wi-fi / wireless password ***** your computer:

- On the Windows 8 computer, at the Desktop screen mode, please right-click on the wireless icon at the bottom right of the screen, then click on Open Network and Sharing Center.
; (Or press at the same time the two keys Windows and R on the keyboard, then type control then click OK, then the Control Panel window should open. Then open Network and Internet / Network and Sharing Center.)
Then click on your wireless network name on the right of Connections item.
Then click on Wireless Properties.
Then click on the Security tab.
Then select the box at Show characters.
Then you will see the Network security key above it, that is your wi-fi / wireless password (it is case-sensitive.)

Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
everything is working fine, but when a new user tried to join , the password *****'t work,
I can't find the then click on Open Network and Sharing Center.

Please try the new steps below:

1. On your Windows 8 computer, please press at the same time the two keys Windows and R on the keyboard, then type control then click OK, then the Control Panel window should open
  2. Then open Network and Internet / Network and Sharing Center.
  3. Then click on your wireless network name on the right of Connections item.
  4. Then click on Wireless Properties.
  5. Then click on the Security tab.
  6. Then select the box at Show characters.
  7. Then you will see the Network security key above it, that is your wi-fi / wireless password (it is case-sensitive.)

Please let me know the step you are stuck at. Thank you,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
4.Then click on Wireless Properties. I can't see this

When at the Network and Sharing Center window, do you see the wi-fi / wireless connection there or not?

- Are you sure the computer that you are doing these steps on is wireless (i.e., there is not a cable connected from the computer to the DLink device)?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it did open up to net work name

When at the Network and Sharing Center window on the Windows 8 computer, do you see the wi-fi / wireless connection there or not?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no cable is not connected it reads change your network settings set up a new connection or network or another option is troubleshoot problems

That is strange; if your computer is currently connected to your dlink router via wireless connection, then it should show your wi-fi / wireless network name on your computer.

Can I connect remotely to your computer, so I can retrieve your wi-fi / wireless password ***** through your computer for you?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am not prepared to pay any more at this time, I will come back later
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
please refund my money, Thanks

How about direct remote support with a small amount as shown? Please let me know; we guarantee our service. Thank you,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no thanks please refund

Sorry. Can we continue with written instructions? I have another solution to try. We can continue now or later whenever you are available.

Please let me know if you'd like to continue now, or if you'd like me to keep this issue open, so you can get back to me later whenever you are available (we've emailed you from JustAnswer / Viet.)

- Otherwise, we are canceling this per your request. If you still need help with the wi-fi / wireless password ***** later and/or with anything else, please come back any time as you wish; we guarantee our service, so don't worry. Thank you for your patience,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
please cancel at this time
thanks for your time

You're welcome. OK, we are canceling this per your request. If you still need help with the wi-fi / wireless password ***** later and/or with anything else in the future, please come back any time as you wish; we guarantee our service. Thank you for your patience,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thanks

You're welcome.