Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

We have an Avaya IP Office System with the IP Office 500v2

Customer Question

We have an Avaya IP Office System with the IP Office 500v2 Appliance. We need to change the main greeting. When I entered *17, it took me to my voicemail. I tried entering 777 and it was not a valid number. If I enter *0 it goes to the operator.
JA: Can you describe your network setup (devices and cables used)?
Customer: The device is the Office 500v2 Appliance. The phones are the 1402. Cables, I have no idea.
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Nothing. We just need to change our main greeting. We have added another division and want to change the main greeting.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I don't know how to change the main greeting at all. I haven't done any trouble shooting because I don't know how to access the main greeting.
JA: Anything else you want the network expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Try going into voicemail first, then entering

0#

then 9 (programming)

3 (attendants)

1 (attendant 1)

1 (day greeting, or 2 for night)

6 to modify

then record new message, essentially.

That should change the main greeting.

Let me know how it goes, please... if it succeeds, I need to know to close this case. If it does not work, I will try to advise you through the difficulty.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When you say go into voicemail-do you mean just go into my voicemail? If so, 0# ***** ***** I can't seem to get into the main greeting.

You just dial the sequence to access voicemail in general - not yours in particular.

Do you know the voicemail system type that you have? does it speak a greeting, if so in what words?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't know how to get into the main voicemail . That's the problem.

What do you dial to access your voicemail? aside from your password, which is private, and not at all germane to my advising you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I dial 223 which is my extension. When someone calls our office they get a voicemail telling them they can dial the extension, dial by name directory dial * and then it lists 1 for operations, 0 for operator etc. Our voicemail was set up with the Avaya Office IP 500v2.

OK, you dial your extension #. Does that get you a prompt for your voicemail password, or do you have to dial something else, to get that prompt for voicemail password?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't use a voicemail password. If I just dial my extension it goes straight to the voicemail message. My phone has a message button. When I select the message button I can Listen, Message(if I select is says Dial Extension), Greeting, Name, passcode, Voicemail(change)

OK. Try calling in from a cell phone or other 'outside' phone.

When the system answers, press *7.

Then enter

0#

then 9 (programming)

etc.... does that work?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, that takes me to the names directory, to get an extension by the last name...

Then, unless you can identify the Voicemail system box - maker and model # - or, if it is an add-in card in the main phone system box, the voicemail card by maker and model - then I would be puzzled as to what else to advise.

Do you have a voicemail administrator? if so, access to change the greeting would require the voicemail administrator's password ***** some point.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have no idea. I guess I will be calling Avaya. Thanks for trying.

That makes perfect sense, at this point, since we don't know who/what the voicemail system is, for your company/office... and that's essential to knowing how to change the main greeting.

If it isn't something Avaya can help you with, be sure to come back to this case, and I shall offer other suggestions.

Thank you for asking your question here at JustAnswer.com.