Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Networking expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

For whatever reason my wifi stopped being usable completely

Customer Question

for whatever reason my wifi stopped being usable completely on my laptop yesterday, can connect via Ethernet and everyone else in the family can use the wireless router
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your laptop, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: hp pavilion dv7 windows 10
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I was just browsing the internet when all of a sudden I wasn't connected to the internet anymore, and the wifi signal wasn't even showing on the bottom of my screen
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: everything from reseting the networks, to resetting my pc to redownloading drivers
JA: Anything else you want the network expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Networking
Expert:  GeekGal replied 9 months ago.

Good morning. My name is*****'m sorry that you're having this problem. I'll do my best to help. Let's begin by right clicking on the windows start icon, then left clickin on device manger. In device manager locate the Network adapters section. Click ont he arrow beside it to expand the selection. Find your network adapter in the list of network devices. Right click on it. If you see enable, click that. If you do not see enbable, please let me know.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 9 months ago.

If you do not see the enable option, we will need to shut down your computer and restart it. Before doing that please make sure that you have bookmarked this page so you can return to it after the reboot, or check your email for a link that will allow you to return to the question.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I've tried all of this already. it's like the network adaptor for wifi completely disappered
Expert:  GeekGal replied 9 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear that. It may be a hardware issue, if you have tried all of these things and you still can't even see. Is the computer under warranty by any chance? If so, you can have it repaired, If not, your best and least expensive option might be to purchase a usb network adapter that you can use with the computer. Please advise.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no it's not under warranty. and I just purchased a usb network adapter per advice from my brother in law. but I didn't know if there was a way to save the wifi on this
Expert:  GeekGal replied 9 months ago.

You may be able to replace the network adapter if you are comfortable with that kind of repair. Unfortunately, that is not something that I can help with, as it is a hands-on type of repair. I will opt out so that other experts can weigh in with their opinions and ideas. Have a great day!

Expert:  Chris L. replied 9 months ago.

Not sure if you still need help with this but it is very possible that the wireless was just turned off. The F12 key on the keyboard can turn the wireless on or off so it could be that it was just off and the adapter in the computer is fine. Give it a try and if you still need help let me know.

Thanks,

Chris

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
well I've tried this too, everytime I hit that little button it just tells me airplane mode on/off. nothing with wireless the light is orange if that helps.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 9 months ago.

It could be possible that the wireless card is defective but most likely it is a driver issue. You could manually download and install the network card driver here:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-dv7-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-series/3837623/model/3860629

However if that does not work and you are sure you have the proper driver installed then the easiest least time consuming would be to just use the USB network adapter. This is also much cheaper than having the internal one replaced.

Confirm you have the proper driver installed and it is showing up in device manager with no issues, if it still doesn't work then the internal card is most likely damaged.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I've tried all of that, they're all for windows 7 and not windows 10. I've updated all drivers. when I go to network adaptors under WAN ports it shows this message : Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't know what hardware device this is or why this is showing up...
Expert:  Chris L. replied 9 months ago.

It is completely possible that they have not created windows 10 drivers yet which may have caused the issue. Honestly your easiest fix is to just use a USB wireless adapter. If you are confident that you have done everything properly with installing the latest drivers and it still doesn't work then you are most likely looking at an incompatibility between windows 10 and that specific network adapter. It may not be this way forever and they may release a new driver at some point in the future but for now I would suggest you use the USB.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
okay, thank you. I had windows 10 on here when it was working and then all of a sudden wasn't available anymore. it physically does not even find wifi anymore. I wouldn't be frustrated and asking if it wasn't working previously
Expert:  Chris L. replied 9 months ago.

Windows 10 did a huge update recently so I wonder if that is what could have caused the issue. But when you look up your model on the HP site if it does not show a specific windows 10 driver than it is completely possible that there is an incompatibility.