Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech
Experience:  CCNA, A+, MCSE 11 years at a large law firm.
13274453

I have a ASUS router and I just got an email (see

Customer Question

I have a ASUS router and I just got an email (see attachment) from the company saying they have released a new version of the firmware. In the instructions (https://www.asus.com/Microsite/2015/networks/routerfirmware_update/) at the end it says "※Notice: After updating the firmware, we recommend that you restore the factory default settings by pressing the reset button of the device for 5 seconds". Does this mean that it will erase all the names and passwords I have for my various devices and that I have to reset them all?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Byron replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist.

If you do a reset, it will indeed erase and configuration changes you made to the router

and they'll need to be re-entered. If you created different wireless network names that those that came

with the router those will need to be put back in as well as the passwords for those networks.

If you've configured any port forwarding that would need to be set up again as well.

On this link you sent: https://www.asus.com/Microsite/2015/networks/routerfirmware_update/

it shows an AC68 router. Is that the model you have?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have an AC66U.
Expert:  Byron replied 2 months ago.

Thanks. I have an AC1900 myself. You can upgrade the firmware without doing a factory reset afterward.

It's recommended, not mandatory.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay. Thanks!
Expert:  Byron replied 2 months ago.

Here's a list of the things the latest firmware update for my router did (see attachment below)

Not a single item in the description affects me. Some of those things I don't even know what they are.

My point being that just because a firmware update is available, it may provide no benefit. It won't make my router

(or anyone else's) faster or last longer.

I did the update anyway but I certainly didn't need to and like in the past I didn't perform a factory

reset after the update. When considering a firmware update it's always advisable to go to the Asus website

and take a look at just what the firmware update accomplishes and make the decision as to whether you

need it or not.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is this website the notice for the firmware update for my router? Do you see anything important there for a average user? Thanks.
Expert:  Byron replied 2 months ago.

Here's the link for your router: https://www.asus.com/support/Download/11/2/0/84/LzShv8ma7TrQB4eO/30/

Click the Firmware link and it will show the firmware downloads and give a description.

Unless you're having a problem that one of the fixes rectifies, I don't see anything there that's a "must have"