comp_audio
comp_audio, System Administrator
Experience:  20+ years experience working in many different networking environments, and I am eager to help you.
44312836

Suddenly, my VGA to USB-C cable adapter stopped working. I

Customer Question

Suddenly, my VGA to USB-C cable adapter stopped working. I plugged the monitor VGA cable into my old lap top and was able to see it, but when I reconnected the VGA to the adaptor and connected it to my USB-C port on my new lap top there's no signal going through. I just replaced the VGA to USB-C adaptor, but it's not working either. What can I do?
Category: Networking
Expert:  comp_audio replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you today. Please give me a minute to review your issue and get back to you. Thanks in advance

Please tell me the exact brand and model of your USB to VGA adapter?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The first adaptor (the one I've been using since purchasing my new lap top last December) is Kanex brand VGA to USB-C. The new adaptor I purchased about an hour ago is SIIG brand.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I can take a picture of it and email or text it to you if that would help.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm thinking that the USB-C port is broken on my lap top. Is there any way to tell if this is true?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Matt: are you still there?

Yes, sorry. Had to take a break for a minute. Yes pictures would be great.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
okay - give me a second to take them
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I just took a bunch of photos and will upload them here now.

ok

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Here are some photos.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm about to jump on a conference call, but will try to keep our conversation going while listening in on the call.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
By the way, the reason i'm using an adaptor is that this lap-top doesn't have a VGA port. Or an HDMI port for that matter. It's kind of annoying.

I bet it is. No worries. Im usually here until 4 or 5 pm CST. Ill get a look and see what I can do to get your answer.

Are you able to look in your device manager to verify the drivers for your adapters are valid and working? It seems as though something has happened, either at a corporate level or windows update that has caused this to suddenly happen.

Something I wanted to make you aware of is we do have Premium Services for an added fee, and one of those are remote support. I could send you an offer and then start a Secure Remote session and perform the repairs while you watch. It is not required but did want to make you aware. I will go ahead and submit the offer, and you can either accept it, and I will send further instructions, or decline it and we continue the way we are now. Just wanted to offer in case you wanted to explore further options.

Again you're free to decline and we continue as we are.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Matt: I'm back from my conference call. I don't think I need remot tech support today -- or at least not right now. I did click on Device manager, and according to my lap top, all devices and drivers are up to date. When I clicked on Monitors, and then asked it to detect new monitors, it didn't find anything. Do you think I should try a VGA to regular USB?

That was going to be one of the next steps I would try. Could you try one of your adapters on an older machine just to verify they are working properly?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My old lap top doesn't have a USB-C port. But when I plugged the VGA cable into it it, the monitor worked just fine. So the problem isn't the VGA cable, it's got to be either the USB-C adaptor, or the USB-C port itself on the new lap top.

So do you have any other USB-c device you can plug in to test your port?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Nope. I'm thinking I need to go to the electronics store and purchase a VGA to USB adapter. this will let me know if it's my USB-C port. If it's not, then there's something wrong with the laptop.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is there another setting for an external monitor I should be using on my lap top?

Not really, you could attempt to click Win + P and the option to choose different options should come up.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I just did that (Win + P) and this is the message: "Your PC can't project to another screen. Try reinstalling the driver or using a different video card."
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Should I go to View Sonic (my monitor) and see if they have an updated driver? What's a video card?

The video card is what converts the digital data to go to your screens. Your adapters are a form of video card.

Your monitors driver is 99.9% correct. I would as a last resort see if there are any updates for your usbc adapters, but most likely they are fine. I am thinking it might be your usbc port. But without being able to test it with a known GOOD usbc device its hard to say. Are there any co-workers that have a similar laptops with a c port you could try the adapters in?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No. I'm in my home office; I work remotely. I think i'll pop out to the store now and pick up a VGA to USB adapter and see if that works. I'll let you know in about an hour.

Sounds good. If I am not here please leave a message and Ill get it when I return. Also if it does not work, then get me your serial number of your laptop so I can verify your warranty etc.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay, thanks.

Good luck and talk to you in a bit.

Good morning! Hoping to get an update this morning to see if your USB-C port is working or if we need to check into warranty repair.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Matt: I got a VGA to USB 2.0 adapter and my second screen is working just fine now. I think my USB-C port on the lap top is damaged or not functioning correctly, but since I don't have any other USB-C items, I can't really check it out.

If you like, give me your serial number and I can check as to the type of warranty you have? It may just be an onsite warranty where they would come to you, and most likely replace the defective port/mainboard.

Paula, I am happy you have your display back up and working as you wanted, but am sure you want your USB-C port working again as it is truly the better solution. Most likely your USB-C port is bad, as you also mentioned you think might be the case. Lenovo has a great support approach and most likely will be able to get it fixed/replaced fast. I can either look it up for you to see what they can do, or I can simply send you the link to start the process on your own. Please also accept my answer by rating my service at least 3 stars then we can go from there. Thanks in advance.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks Matt: if you could send me the link to Lenovo, that would be great.I appreciate your help.

I can and will do that. While I gather that information and post it to you, can you please take a moment to rate my service at least 3 stars so that I can get credited with assisting you today. Of course I hope I have given you service deserving 5 stars and if not let me know what i can do better.

First you will need to go to http://support.lenovo.com/us/en and choose the button at the top to "Detect My Product" Follow the onscreen prompts to install the Lenovo detect tool. Then you will see your system listed. Within there you will see options, and one of them is to request service.

Accept my answer and rate my service and I will keep this open should you have any additional issues with the support request. If need I can walk you through the entire process.

Good Morning. Just checking in to see if you were able to go to the Lenovo support site and submit to have your laptop repaired?