Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

Iam using skype.com .. but iam facing a big problem iam used

Customer Question

hello there, iam using skype.com .. but iam facing a big problemiam used to using calls and video calls with my friends , however there's a particular friend which i can't call.I can call everyone else . he can do the same as well and every thing is ok . but when it comes to chat with each we can't either see or hear each other . worthy to say that we used to talk and that only happened 1 week ago .. we tried to change our e_mails and it was invainiam using an iphone 6 plus .. and he is using an android systemthanks for your time
Category: Networking
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I need to ask several questions about the setup and the situation, to solve your problem:
- Do any others of those you call, use an Android system or Android phone or tablet? (It is likely, but if you are certain, it would help accurately diagnose the problem.)

- Is there any error message from the Skype app, or any error code number, when you fail to hear and see the other?

- Is a computer involved, on your end, and if so, what computer is it, please?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
2-3 of my friends are using an android system with their devices-no , nothing-we just used mobile phones , but now i called her mobile phone by using skype desktop through my pc.. and the same problem happened !
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
oh, one more thing .. when we get into a chat group and use voice or video calls it works .. even the only 2 online persons in the chat are us

Thanks for the responses and the information.

Chat, online, should work regardless. It's through different 'channels' than Skype.

That Skype does not work to that one destination, even when using Skype desktop, makes some sense: you apparently, at a guess, have a problem with firewall protection measures on either one of the two computers involved in the call to this one friend, and the firewall on your own computer is likely (given that Skype Desktop also failed ) to be where the problem is.

(Why your computer's firewall would limit only one callee, is the question, of course. Still rather a puzzle... but this is at least a hypothesis.)

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
hmmmm so what should we do ?
- i can call another friends using android systems .. the other part as well !- what other programes rather than skype can we use ?

Google Voice can be used. I'm not sure, but it may support video.

And within certain ranges (e.g. within USA) it is Free.

Try disabling your firewall (temporarily!) and making a call to your friend. Ask them if they saw and/or heard you, observe whether you see and/or hear them. That's one thing to try before switching programs.

(And regardless of the result, re-enable your firewall! for safety. Then, tell me the result, and I will advise you if the result was at all favorable, as to what exactly to do.)

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
is there a firewall in the iphone devices ?how to disable it ?

I meant the firewall on your computer.

There may be no firewall software on your iPhone, but your computer is bound to have it. Is it a Windows computer or an Apple?