Russell H., Internet and LAN
Experience:  11 years work with Internet/IP, routers, networks, servers
13568747

I have an apple Airport Extreme that connects to 4 Airport

Customer Question

I have an apple Airport Extreme that connects to 4 Airport express wireless. I bought dlink AV2000 hoping to improve the signal to one of the the airport express. Can this be done? How
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular D-Link product?
Customer: none
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I tyried plug and play. Didn't seem to work. Also it captured my smart TV. Had to remove Dlink to correct. Could it ne that I have both a main network and a guest network and dlink cant tell which?
JA: The network expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No - Thanks Bob
Category: Networking
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Do you have a main network and a guest network? in terms of devices, I mean, and the way they talk to each other.

If you want to use the AV2000 as a wireless range extender, it has to be configured and oriented to extend one wireless network, not two. That's basic enough.

As for plug-and-play, you really have to configure a wireless range extender a bit, for it to work properly. If you are willing to undertake that, I can provide instructions.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have 2 networks. Primary named new(password ***** wpa2) and secondary Guest(Unprotected). Would think I would want to extend the primary or new network. Both of these networks are wireless using one Apple Extreme base and 4 Apple Express to extend.

OK. To extend the primary network or 'new', you would configure the AV2000 as a range extender to match it, and to refer to 'new' and its values, rather than to reference in any way the 'Guest' network/router box.

Here are the basics of configuring for a range extender function:

Remember that, in configuring a range extender, one has to set it to the same SSID as the WiFi router one is trying to extend.

And also, the encryption code must be the exact same type (not just WPA, for instance, but if the main router is WPA2-XYZ for instance, then the extender must be WPA2-XYZ too. This requirement may even extend to revision level, so if a router is very new and an extender is much older, it may not work.

Another point: range extenders must actually be within range of the main router. So check on that also, by trying to access the main router (after turning Off the range extender altogether, and unplugging it) from that same position with a wireless-equipped laptop, and see if it has a reasonably strong signal, of at least two bars I would recommend (though only one green bar *might* work reliably.)

Let me know how it goes, and what you find out, please. Thanks.

( If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated! )