Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

I have two offices. I have a server. I have 5 computers

Customer Question

I have two offices . I have a server . I have 5 computers between two
Offices . I have time warner at both locations . Main office with server I have 100mbps down and 5 Mbps up . I have 5 static ip at this location . The other office I have 50
Mbps down and 5 Mbps up . I have one static ip . My issue has been with my outlook going down at office without server . I just had time warner installed . I was using Alpheus with only 3mbps down and only 2.5 up. Outlook worked ok . I did have 5 static ip when I had . Any ideas while my outlook is giving me problems . What are things to check
Category: Networking
Expert:  derrickonline replied 3 months ago.

I'd be more than happy to assist you. To really get into this I need to ask a few questions and establish some constants...

SITE "A" = Location with server (main office)

SITE "B" = Satellite location ( no servers)

1. When you say Outlook is going down at the office without a server. I interpret that to mean, you're using Outlook as your email client, and when sitting at site "B" you're Outlook is having issues connecting to your mail server. Your mail server is located at site "A".

Did I get that right?

2. What kind of mail server do you have? Exchange Server? Other?

3. Is the problem intermittent or persistent?

My first stab at this without you having answered all my questions yet is if you run a mail server at site "A" and for example your domain name is: abc.com if you switched providers you'd need to update your DNS records to point to the new static IP address where your mail server is housed. This gets more technical but let's start with my questions above then work our way into this.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Exchange is my server. It's up and down regular and you are correct in my set up

OK now we're making some progress. So you have an Exchange server at site "A". What is your domain name? Once you received a new static IP address from Time Warner (since you said you used to have Alpheus), did you update your DNS records accordingly?

By the way, if we get to a point where you'd rather have me remote in and look at things, I can offer you a premium service which will be $40 additional. Totally optional however. Just wanted to throw that out there.

I need the following...

1. Your email domain.

2. A screenshot or tell me what your Outlook settings show for your mail server.

3. Old IP address of the mail server, and new IP address of the mail server.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm working on getting the ip. Addresses . The Domain is the_______agency.com

I can't really do much with ___________agency.com....I need the actual domain name. I'm assuming your domain isn't a secret since it's on the Internet and you send and receive email from that domain.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No it's not a secret but other questions I have asked on this site or private and it ties in with my name

I understand. We can also do a phone call if you'd like (obviously this service/company charges a fee for that). Mr. George, I noticed you haven't answered my other questions.

Have you updated the DNS records (MX, and if necessary A records) to reflect the new IP address(es) provided by Time Warner for your domain?

Ex:

Your previous ISP gave you 5 IP addresses

71.110.15.55

71.110.15.56

71.110.15.57

71.110.15.58

71.110.15.59

Let's say you had: 71.110.15.57 assigned to your Exchange Server. That means you have a DNS MX record pointing to 71.110.15.57

If your new ISP Time Warner gave you 5 new IP addresses...

81.220.16.55

81.220.16.56

81.220.16.57

etc etc

Let's say you now assigned the IP address 81.220.16.56 to your Exchange server, then you must update that DNS record (MX) to point to the new IP address.

Then of course you could also be doing NAT (Network Address Translation) which means your firewall has an IP address, and all devices behind that firewall share that same IP address including your Exchange Server. This is because NAT translates that public IP to an internal IP based on port/service. Ex: Any https requests coming through to the public IP may be directed to your Exchange Server's Outlook Web Access site.

To really help you I need you to answer my questions and fill me in on your network topology. Are you doing NAT? Are you assigning one of the 5 static IPs to your Exchange Server? Did you update your DNS?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm working on getting you the info . I'm not at the location currently . I'm having some verify that the DNS was updated. I will respond as soon as I get you the info you requested . Thanks

Sounds good... Standing by.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

are you avaialable

I'm back online this morning.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for help . we got the issue resolved

Thank you, ***** ***** found my assistance to be helpful please rate accordingly. Thank you.