Ashik, PC Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), Professional Experience in Networking
16433418

Unable to gert other devices to connect via wifi, 2days, I

Customer Question

unable to gert other devices to connect via wifi
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: 2days
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I went back to an earlier date, tried to find wireless net work
JA: The network expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no thank you
Category: Networking
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

What happens when you connect to your WiFi network ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it sy unable to connect, the light is out on the modem
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Remote Tech Support. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

This usually happens if the wireless chip of the modem is failing.

Are you not able to connect any of your devices to your WiFi network ?

What is the model and make of your modem/router ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
2wir3 gqte way from bigpond
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the internet connection had progressed to no4 home group and I cancelled it an returned to 3
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I cant find the network connection
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

I'm writing the answer. I will reply in a few minutes

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
for wifi
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
if you could send an email telling me what to do this would be great, I did not know you weren't in Australia
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

I hope the Wifi chip is not failed. First lets do a power cycle. Turn off the modem/router and unplug it for 2 minutes. Make sure you disconect all cables from it. Then after 2 minutes, connect everything and turn it on.

If that didn't work, then while it is working, just press the reset button (or hole using a pin) on the back of the modem/router and this will soft reset it. Don't hold down the reset button for more than 1 second or you will lose internet and you will have to reconfigure it using computer.

Let me know how it goes

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

If you lose internet connection after resetting, then you will have to reconfigure it. Connect the modem/router to your computer. Press Windows and R keys and this will bring Run. Type cmd and press enter. This will bring Command Prompt.

Then in Command Prompt, type the following the and press enter

ipconfig

This will bring some modem configuration details. Find and write down the Default Gateway address

Then open internet browser and go to that address, it is like 192.168.2.1, 192.168.1.1 etc

Then it will ask for Username and password. Find the username and password ***** here --> http://portforward.com/default_username_password/2wire.htm

Now reconfigure it (by following on screen instructions)

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it did not work thanks for your time, I will be ok
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

I've seen this kind of issue before. If the WiFi chip the modem stops working, then other devices will fail to connect to it or not find the WiFi at all. To make sure this is not an hardware issue, lets make sure the wireless is working by accessing router configuration window.

Connect the modem/router to your computer. Press Windows and R keys and this will bring Run. Type cmd and press enter. This will bring Command Prompt.

ipconfig

Click on Wireless section and try changing the wireless name and password. Also change the wireless security (to WPA or WPA2 if you see that option) Also, if it is OFF, you will see an option to turn it on. Save and Apply settings. This will create a brand new WiFi network. Does your other devices recognize the WiFi network ?

Note : The above steps will not work if the WiFi chip of the modem is failed/failing. In that case, you may need to replace the modem itself. Please don't rate me bad or poor if you are not satisfied. You don't have to rate anything if you are not satisfied. You can close this page without rating and ignore rating requests. I will be happy to continue to help you until we figure this out.