Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft

Windows 7 SDK for Unix-based Applications (SUA). I am unable

Customer Question

Windows 7 SDK for Unix-based Applications (SUA). I am unable to get the rsh to localhost to work from either a command shell or a ksh or csh. Keep getting connection refused. I am able to rlog in with a password
Category: Networking
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The first thing to check in such a case is the firewall, whether it has a rule in it, granting permission to the rsh to communicate with internet and/or with the destination machine's IP Address or IP Address range (which last, covers internal or within-LAN uses of rsh.)

Given that this is run on Windows, the firewall at the Windows level would need checking.

(And also the machine's permissions at the other end - it has to allow the connection! and some do not, very definitely do not.)

Let me know what you think, and I will work with you on this.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Firewall is turned off completely. I am using local host, so I'm basically just end-arounding. Plus .rhost and hosts.equiv have + in them as well as local host name. Have you tried using it?
rsh local host date

I admit that sounds as if it should work.

But, what platform is it being used on / running on?