Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft

Brother MFC-9130CW Printer & ASUS RT-AC88U Router. Printer

Customer Question

Brother MFC-9130CW Printer & ASUS RT-AC88U Router. Printer shows offline when it is connected to wifi I've recently upgraded my routers firmware and then all of a sudden the printer shows offline.

My phones, computer, and tablet all can not find the printer. I've restarted the printer, computer, uninstalled programs and reinstall to find out my computer cant find the printer on network, so unable to install again. At first I thought the main problem was the printers dynamic ip changing and people told me to assign a static ip which I did. One computer started to find the computer only to be offline after a few minutes. I tried reinstalling the driver/program, but still cant find printer to install over wifi.

I've consider myself a bit tech savvy, but I haven't been able to fix this for the past week after trying multiple solution. I know it is probably a router/printer issue and not a computer problem.

Category: Networking
Expert:  Kevin T replied 2 months ago.

Would you like me to tell you a few steps to try or would you like me to connect to your PC and resolve for you?

Allowing me to connect is easiest, but as you are savy I could give you a few things If you are capable in following?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

We can try you giving me a few things to try out. If it doesn't work out, we can try you connecting through teamviewer?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Relist: Other.
Not responding back.
Expert:  Byron replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist.

Connect the printer to one of your connected computers via USB cable and run through

the setup.

Updating the router firmware sometimes knocks devices off the network so going through

the setup process is the way to correct this.

Here's a video for a similar Brother printer:

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

I just tried it and restore all setting to factory, but after installing wifi printer through the usb cable. It told me to disconnect the cable and went to a page where it says its searching for printer and was not found.

Same thing as before... I think it has to do with my router setting? Or router firewall?

Expert:  Byron replied 2 months ago.

I use an asus router myself and there aren't any default settings that I'm aware of that would block a printer from being found.

When you went through the setup were told that the printer was successfully connected to the wireless network?

Your router is dual band so it's broadcasting 2.4 and 5Ghz wireless networks. The printer is only capable of connecting

to the 2.4. Do the two networks have different names (SSIDs)?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

I have network name JJASUS and JJASUS_5.0. I connected to JJASUS the 2.4ghz connection.

It was successfully connected, but once it tells me to disconnect the cable and n the page that says choose the brother machine you want to install.

I say its a router/printer problem because 6 of my computers, 3 tablets, and 3 iphones all can not print anymore.

Expert:  Byron replied 2 months ago.

Can you log in to the router and see if the printer shows up as a client.

Clicking the link below should open the Asus login page.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

It shows up. However, I usually have 15 clients connected and every 30seconds to 1minute 10-12 client disappear and reappears in 5-10seconds. I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

Expert:  Byron replied 2 months ago.

That doesn't sound normal.

You can try this: From the Asus page click LAN>>DHCP Server and toward the

bottom where manually assign an IP address click the red arrow and you should see the printer

listed. Select it and then ADD to create a permanent IP address for it.

Give it a Host Name if one isn't listed and Apply the change. (see attachment)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

I've tried this before and assigned it and also shortened the IP ending pool to

My main computer still did not find printer when installing. However, my secondary computer which already had driver/program installed found the printer and was able to print for 5minutes before going offline. I would have to assign another static ip to get it online for 5minutes before going offline again.

Expert:  Byron replied 2 months ago.

In the screenshot I sent when you click the red dropdown arrow you should see the printer listed by MAC address.

Once you select it the IP address field should populate showing the address the router assigned via DHCP.

Clicking Add>>Apply makes it permanent. You shouldn't have to manually assign an IP address.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

I just reset everything and did what you told me and didn't manually assign the IP. The ip was, but still same thing as before no printer found on main computer and secondary computer able to print for 5min before offline.

Expert:  Byron replied 2 months ago.

What version of Windows does the "main" computer run?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Both run window 7 64bit

Expert:  Byron replied 2 months ago.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

I've been having this problem for 3 days now. Its getting me the biggest headache that I almost just want to buy a new printer, but I'm afraid it will be the same problem.

Expert:  Byron replied 2 months ago.

I'm trying to post a response but for some reason the page is giving me a hard time.

Expert:  Byron replied 2 months ago.

This page isn't letting me send the response. Do you have

an email address I can send it to.

Don't reply to the email, just respond on this page.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Byron replied 2 months ago.

If it's still not finding the printer open up the black window like before

At the blinking prompt type: ping (or whatever the printer address is)

and hit Enter.

You should get 4 replies in milliseconds with 0% packet loss.

If it says anything else let me know what it says.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

I got 4 replies and 0% packet loss.

I got the printer to install on my main computer and is staying online so far, but unable to scan.

Let me restart my computer and print and see if it helps. Also I have to go out to pick up my kids, so wont be back for 1-2hours.

Expert:  Byron replied 2 months ago.

ok. Let me know

Expert:  Byron replied 2 months ago.

Hi. Is your PC still making nice with the printer?