Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

Reset router numerous times. Still can't access using

Customer Question

Reset router numerous times. Still can't access using default username/password. Weird thing happens though; "using DHCP" the router changes ip address from 192.168.5.1 to 192.168.1.1 (which finally allowed me access to the router's set up screen, however when the router's IP is set to 192.168.1.1 I cannot access the internet, whereas with 192.168.5.1 I was able to access the internet but wasn't able to access the set up page.Thanks for any help
Category: Networking
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
maybe I should rephrase. I am trying to access my router's setup page.
Expert:  derrickonline replied 3 months ago.

I'd be more than happy to assist you. What brand and model router are you using? Also what's your end goal? Are you trying to set your router to work off the 192.168.5.0 subnet? Keep in mind there is the IP address provided from your ISP which typically connects to the ISP's cable modem/router). You then typically plug your ISP's router into the INTERNET port on your router.

Their (ISP) router will typically assign an internal IP address to your router. This would be considered the WAN IP.

Then there's the LAN IP

Then there's the DHCP Scope.

It sounds to me like you might be setting your WAN IP to 192.168.1.1 versus the LAN IP.

To make this easier, I think it's best you tell me your end goal and we'll work from there.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am trying to access my routers set up page so I can change the default username and password.i tried to access using the ip address 192.168.5.1 and I couldn't get in using the default (although the internet was working)
In my network settings, I turned off *configure IPv4* and turned it back on to "Using DHCP" and the IP address for the router had changed to 192.168.1.1, which THEN allowed me access to the setup page using the default password (but I was unable to use the internet).

We can do this one of two ways, we can continue to chat this way or I can setup a remote session and phone call where I can take control and do it. There is an additional $20 fee for the latter. But it's totally optional.

The first thing I need to know is when you can access the Internet, what is YOUR IP address?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
74.94.95.73
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Let's continue the chat through just answer.

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you. 74.94.95.73 is the IP address that your COMPUTER is receiving? Or your router? This is important because that IP shouldn't be assigned directly to your computer, but instead your router. Can you tell me the brand and model of your router and how you have your ethernet cables connected?