Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft

I bought a hp printer with instant ink that needs to connect

Customer Question

i bought a hp printer with instant ink that needs to connect to the internet and i have a router that has 2 speeds 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz and bothe have the same pass word when trying to connect the printer to the router wire less it tells us that the pass word on the router is not valid. when we call up[ the router info on the internet the router pass word on the router is displayed on both speeds. the printer has to work exclusively with 2,4 ghz or it will not work please help me as i have bee dealing with this for 3 days and have spent many hours on the phone with hp and they say that i have to go to you for a solution.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Perhaps you simply need to go into the WiFi router box's

setup utility, and set the router into 2.4 GHz mode only. It may be a wireless-N-capable router, in which case, for it to work with your printer, you will need to set it to inhibit the maximum speed capability or 5 GHz capability, and only operate in the 2.4 GHz (Wireless-G) mode.

Does that sound likely to be the answer to your problem? if so, please try it, and tell me the result. Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i do not know how to do that.

(I regret that I am not able to offer Live Phone Call service at this time; However, your request is still open to other Experts in this category, and one of them may pick up on it at any time.)

Do you have a Windows PC? one that is hooked up to the router?

If so, I have a procedure for you to follow, to access and change that setting on your router.