Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

After a power failure my Linksys cisco router(which is

Customer Question

after a power failure my Linksys cisco router(which is wirelessly connected to my Dell PC) was flashing on all ports constantly. After removing power cord for 30 sec I put the power cord back in but still all it does is flash
Category: Networking
Expert:  Russell H. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I'm sorry to hear that. It sounds as if the Linksys-Cisco router box is in quite a state.

I advise you to take a patient approach to the problem, and unplug the Linksys-Cisco router for at least 2 hours, or overnight. That might perhaps allow it to thoroughly cool off, and reset back to operational condition.

Let me know how it goes, please. And also, a question: is the Linksys router normally plugged into or powered through a surge protector? or is it plugged in directly to the wall outlet?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it is plugged directly into a power strip, could a power strip have a surge protector in it?Also I don't mind buying a new router this one is probably 6 years oldif I buy a new one can you help suggest one, it is just for home useand if I buy a new one can you help me set it up and configure it
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
can you call me on this number
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
can you call me on this number ********** Arthur
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Power strips do often have power filtering and surge protection in them. Good to hear that.

A new one might well be needed.

The best would be something appropriate for your needs - several computers? handheld devices? one printer? then a basic-enough home WiFi router would be good. (Let me know if that sounds right.)

Setup of a router is simple unless your home has DSL or ADSL internet.

(I regret that I am not able to offer Live Phone Call service at this time; However, your request is still open to other Experts in this category, and one of them may pick up on it at any time.)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
are you going to respond to my written questions or are we finished for now?

Yes, I have responded to your written questions, some.

If you consider this to terminate our session, a rating would be appreciated, for my work.

But is there anything else you need to be told? until someone takes up your phone call request, I should still assist you, those are the terms.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
would another cisco Linksys router be fine for home use, I have Comcast hi speed cable internet access

Yes, for cable internet, you just have to configure your WiFi 'passphrase' and encryption type, and assign a password ***** the configuration utility (or 'admin' account used when logging into the new router to configure it.)

Otherwise, the new router should simply work fine, when you go through very basic instructions on hooking it up.

Do you need further instructions?

Yes, Cisco Linksys is a good brand name for home use.

Have I answered your questions? if you need to know more, I'm still here.