Joseph Varner
Joseph Varner,
Experience:  Enterprise Support Specialist at Arthur J Gallagher

How do I improve wifi reception in my camper?

Customer Question

Category: Networking
Expert:  Joseph Varner replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist.

Can I ask how your network is currently set up in your camper, and how do you get internet in it?

We can figure it out once we have the basics set out.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi, Joe, and thanks - I have a little Tin Can camper and I try to chose campgrounds that offer wifi so that I can connect with my Toshiba laptop (windows 10) or my iphone 5s. The campground usually has a central signal source that penetrates the grounds to varying degrees. Some are great but most are not. I'm looking for something simple (and inexpensive) that improves the "receptivity" (is that a techie word?) of my devices. I see adapters and extenders but I don't know which is which. Can you help?

So extenders really only work on the router side of things to extend the signal, so I would rule that out. Just looking around, it might be possible for the Toshiba to get a different wifi card for a PCMCIA slot that has a stronger antenna, but for the iPhone, you may be out of luck. The main issue here isn't actually your equipment - its the camp grounds WiFi. Being a radio signal, it can be affected by the electromagnetism of weather patterns, given the grounds and distance it is trying to cover.

Now, the grounds could always add amplifiers or extenders to their routers, which would improve the signal for the grounds, however that's far less likely.

On your end of things, your best bets are either finding a WiFi card that will work with your laptop and has a strong antenna (my suggestion is to ignore specs and read customer reviews with regards ***** ***** people's experience with signal strength), or somehow setting up your IPhone as a WiFi Hot Spot (which is totally going to kill your data on your cellular plan, unless you get unlimited data - and all this provided your iPhone gets decent cellular reception on the grounds).

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks I'll look into those options.

Let me know how it goes, and please feel free to rate your experience up at the top.

Good luck!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Joe I reply the other day. And I'm following up on your suggestions and whatever I come up with I'll let you know how it works in a couple of weeks

Ok, thank you!