Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

My netgear N300 wireless range extender stopped working. I

Customer Question

My netgear N300 wireless range extender stopped working. I have reset the unit and the router but when I boot up the device, the network is not found by any of my home's computers/phones.
JA: Have you tried "power cycling" your router -- unplugging it and letting it rest for about ten seconds?
Customer: yes, the was my most recent effort.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: power cycle (extender and router, mult times). reset button on extender. multiple locations (all proximal to the router).
JA: The network expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

When you reset the main router box, how long did you hold down the reset button?

And also, when your computers or other WiFi-using devices look for a network to connect to while within range of the main router, do they connect? If you haven't tried it, try turning Off the range exender, and just trying to connect to the main router. (The extender won't work if the main router doesn't.)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi. I disconnected the router power cord from the router, I didn't just hit reset.My other devices (phone, iPad, PC) can all detect several networks and each can connect to my home network just fine.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Here is the Netgear N300 User Guide. Not much help, unfortunately. https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91lUUlEbrSS.pdf

OK. So it isn't that the main router has had its setup wiped back to factory values, then.

Have you tried re-configuring the range extender from scratch? that is the thing to try at this point, since it may have either spontaneously reverted to factory settings, or simply had some of its settings corrupted.

(If you need basic instructions on doing so, let me know, and I'll provide them.)