GeekGal
GeekGal, Network Administrator
Experience:  MIS degree 15+ years Experience as Network Administrator
76665483

I am sitting at my laptop connecting to my network but my

Customer Question

I am sitting at my laptop connecting to my network but my Kindle right next to it is unable to connect to wifi. I have re-entered the network name and password ***** times but can't seem to catch the signal
Category: Networking
Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 months ago.

Hi there Bill, My name is*****'m sorry that you're having this problem. I'd be happy to help. I 'll need to ask a few questions in order to best help you. Can you please tell me the model of your Kindle? If you're not sure, please look for a serial number. If you can't find it on the Kindle, you can find it on the Manage Your Kindle page of your Amazon account (in the Manage Your Devices section).

Also,

1. From the Home screen, press the Menu button.
  2. Select Settings, and then select view next to Wi-Fi Settings.
  3. Does your wifi show up in the list as an available network?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ser# ***** *****no networks were found
Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for that information. May I ask how long you have had this Kindle? Also, please check to see if the wireless networking is turned off or turned on.

From Home, tap the Menu icon, and then tap Turn on Wireless.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 months ago.

If the wireless is turned on but it is not seeing any networks, it may be the result of a "glitch" in the software. Luckily, it is usually easily fixed.

Please do the following:

Remove the charger from the Kindle and hold the power button or switch in the OFF position for about 20 seconds.

Release the button or switch, then connect the charger and try to turn on the Kindle.

If this doesn't work, please repeat the steps and this time hold the power button or switch in the off position for a full 40 seconds. This should reset the Kindle to factory defaults. You will know that it successfully reset to factory defaults, if it reset the Kindle back to the way it was when you took it out of the box. Did it do that? If not, please try it again, being sure to hold the power button for a FULL 40 seconds. If it did require you to set it up again, then the factory reset was successful.

If you do have to reset it to factory defaults, you don't have to be concerned about losing your books. The books that you have purchased from your Kindle will continue to be available at the Amazon website under My CONTENT if you should wish to download them again at some point in the future.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 months ago.

Downloading Books To Kindle After Factory Reset

After resetting the Kindle, just make sure when you set it back up that you use the same Amazon email address and password ***** you are currently using. After setting up the Kindle, please login to your account at Amazon.com. Select YOUR ACCOUNT. From the drop down menu that appears, please select MANAGE YOUR DEVICES AND CONTENT. On the page that appears next, you will see a CONTENT Tab and a DEVICES Tab. On the CONTENT tab you will see all of your Kindle book purchases. You can sort them by title, author or purchase date. Please locate the book that you want to download to your Kindle, select it by checking it and then click on the ACTIONS column. Choose deliver as the action. Select your device from the Device list. If you have more than one Kindle, make sure that you choose the Kindle that you are actively using. Don't select the Kindle Cloud reader unless you have downloaded the Kindle Cloud Reader APP to a computer or device other than your Kindle and wish to read it there.

Please give this a try and let me know how it works for you. If this solves the problem., would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? I'd really appreciate it! Without a positive rating I am not credited for my answer. If you ned more help, PLEASE let me know so I can continue to troubleshoot with you. I am committed to your complete satisfaction.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
As you can see from the ser number this is an old Kindle. It's a wonder thw number wasn't written in heiroglyphics. So, with all due respect to you I'm thinking maybe it's time to invest in a new Kindle which wont cost much more than I'd have to pay you. I did the 40 second reset and got back to the boy under the tree so I'm pretty sure it worked, but when I went to buy a book it still says , wait a minute, the network just popped up..Never mind, now it's giving me application errors.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear that. You may be right about the need for replacement. Have a nice weekend!