Nathan, System Administrator
Experience:  IT systems admin, network installer
59725966

Forgot password for router, how do I recover it

Customer Question

forgot password ***** router, how do I recover it
Category: Networking
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you, Renee.

There are a few possible ways to get (or change) your password:
1) You can look for a sticker on the back/side of the router, which indicates the factory default (key/passphrase). Note this only works if the password ***** never changed/customized when the router was initially configured
2) You can access the router configuration menu via a computer that is already connected to the router, either via wifi or wired ethernet. This lets you view/change the password.
3) you can do a factory reset of the router, clearing all settings, and allowing that default password ***** function again. Doing this results in having to update the password ***** all devices.

Of these options, I'd suggest #2, but I'll be happy to give more info on any of them. If you can let me know the make/model of the router, I'll give you the basic steps to access the router setup. Or, if you aren't comfortable doing so yourself, I can do it for you remotely.

Thanks,

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?