Pete, Networking Engineer
Experience:  CISCO Certified Networking Engineer

My 2015 Lenovo Carbon x1 Win 8 laptop can't a specific small

Customer Question

Hi Jason,
My 2015 Lenovo Carbon x1 Win 8 laptop can't a specific small office WPA2 WiFi network. My own Mac and other people's PC laptops DO see it.
It's a which can't see a WPA2 network that my Mac and other laptops see.It's always been Windows 8.1 when this was happening. Only tonight I upgraded to Windows 10.I was told there was some download that would make it visible.Can you help? I'll be back at work to see if your fix worked tomorrow.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Jason is currently offline.
My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to assist with your question.
Do you have any more info on the network - is it perhaps on a different frequency (e.g. 5.2Gkz) that your laptop cannot see?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't know the frequency. Is it possible that windows10 will have better ability to see that network?
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

It depends on what wireless receiver is built into the laptop - you will need to know if the laptop is compatible with the frequency of the wireless network.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
can I tell the frequency from a different computer that is able to receive that signal? Will the frequency determine what to do?
If the laptop can not receive the signal frequency, is there a way to correct that?
Doesn't it seem weird that a 2015 laptop can't receive modern router signals? I have an older Lenovo thinkpad that does fine.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Again, it depends on what built-in wireless receiver is being used - if you let me know the model numbers I can check the specs.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Serial = 20BS-0035US
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi, the serial nunmber of the laptop is 20BS-0035US.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I mean model
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Ok, there may be an issue with the built-in wireless card - can you try using an external USB wifi adapter similar to the following and let me know if it helps: