Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft

Pearl, I switched internet providers and I lost my user name

Customer Question

Pearl, I switched internet providers and I lost my user name and password ***** my seagate central wireless hard drive. Can you help me either recover of get a new one.
JA: When did you last reset your username and password?
Customer: I tried to reset my unit approx. 7 months ago and it didn't make a difference, because it didn't reset my unit enough to enable me to set a new user name and password
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I haven't found any trouble shooting for recovering a lost user name and password
JA: The network expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No thats about it, I really just want to access my hard drive and make it again my back up
Category: Networking
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I am sorry to say there may be bad news about your efforts to recover, or reset, the hard drive's password.

But first I have to ask - so as to be quite sure of my opinion, before I offer it:

What is the exact and full model # ***** the Seagate hard drive, please?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
RUSSELL I sent you the model number

OK. I have it. Thanks.

I am looking that model # *****

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Try the default username and password, of

and blank password ***** no password ***** no characters.

If that doesn't work, then locate the pinhole reset button, on the back side, or the underside, of the drive. Use the end of a straightened-out paperclip to press inside that pinhole, and hold down the reset button for 15 seconds.

Then after that, wait at least 2 minutes. Then after that interval, not before, try logging in to the admin web page with a username of

and no password ***** no-characters-in-password.

Let me know how that goes, please.

(Note: if there is data of yours on the hard drive, this might possibly make it impossible to access it, or wipe it... perhaps. So please proceed with that caution in mind, if you proceed at all.)