hongkongpom, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Techician since 2007

I'm looking on a wireless bridge that keeps losing

Customer Question

I'm looking for answers on a wireless bridge that keeps losing connectivity
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: 2 days
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: updated firmware, did a factory reset, changed the orientation of the item and changed the way i connect to the wireless network (push button connect, vs entering network and password)
JA: When did you last reset your username and password?
Customer: na
JA: The network expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
Category: Networking
Expert:  Isaac Franklin replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

When you say wireless bridge, do you have your router/modem in bridge mode to use another router you are trying to connect too?

Can you tell me the brand/model of your router? What are you trying to connect too? A game system, phone, tv etc?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's a net gear wnce2001.My router is a netgear wndr3400.I'm connecting the bridge to an amcrest dvr Thad about 30 ft away. It works great on for anywhere from 15 minutes to 120 minutes. Then it goes and needs to be restarted.

Okay, before we go further, that router is great at 30 feet IF there are no walls, electronics and interference with a straight

path to communicate, nothing in the way. The signal gets weak as im sure you already know.

Give me just a few minutes to pull up the specs on these devices.

Netgear WNDR3400 Wireless Router ‑ 802.11b/a/g/n

Netgear WNCE2001 Bridge ‑ 300 Mbps ‑ 2.4 GHz ‑ 802.11b/g/n

These are the settings on the devices you sent me. I am going to check compatibility and frequency they are on to see what

channel and mode they are suggested for optimal use.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That's fine. I don't need absolute reliability.I'd be fine if it dropped in and out with weather...etc... And it seems that from time to time, when it's working, the connection degrades and come back. I am fine with this.However, once the bridge decides to disconnect, it's gone. It never comes back. Unless I power it down and power it back up. That's my problem.

I'm still with you. Give me about ten minutes. I am making sure since you are using an 'extender/repeater' that you are

actually in bridge mode on the other device and a way to keep it solid for you if possible.

Okay, the link below will show you how to log into your router. (im sure you know, but just in case) from your computer to make

the changes that will be in the next set of instructions:

There are changes 'tweaks' that should have been set with both devices. It may have served as communication and seems like it

works but not at its best performance. The guide below is for another router similar to this one. Lets ensure these changes were made.

Let me know if you run into any issues or need help with the settings or further instruction.

They are not the same model, but the instructions are based on the same goal and similar in nature.

If you are satisfied with the help I have provided, please remember to click and submit a star rating on this page. Your feedback is important as it is the only way I am credited for assisting you. Thank you.

Also, on a last note, i realize you mentioned that it drops every so often almost 'on time'. If you go into

both devices and make the changes on the document i sent, this may be your culprit here as well once you

get those settings in place.

I have mine set for 120 in my router to reestablish connection with my other devices.

Address Lease Time: minutes 120 (1~2880 minutes, the default value is 120)

Mine looks like that in my main router under DHCP. You could extend yours to up to 2880. That way if you have

to reconnect, the other device now has your main routers mac address and will try instantly to pick it up, but it

will do it less often for you as requested.

Just after thought while reviewing your question further.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm looking at the first document you sent. I was busy doing a factory default reset on the router just in case.Anyway, I'm not using a "repeater" When I said I was using a bridge, I simply meant the WNCE2001 adapter that that turns the wireless signal to hard ethernet.

The word repeater and bridge go hand in hand. We are using one device 3400 as a bridge for your other device to 'extend'

the signal strength farther. If you looked at the second reply 'after thought'. Extending the 'time' you have set on your router

to try and reestablish connection longer is the majority of what you needed to get done. This alone will do that for you. If you

log into your router 3400, go under the DHCP and see if it set like mine for the 120minutes. OR LESS. Extend/max it out to the

allowed time to maintain longer, solid connection.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't see any setting in my router to adjust the dhcp refresh or timeout. The only dhcp setting is to enable and disable and then set the range of addresses.

Okay, this is the information on that question: but even from Netgear, it is vague. I cannot see what you see to

go in and look for it. It will depend on several factors:

However, if you follow the guide i sent previously (skip the second repeater portion) it will tell you how to

keep connected. If you already paired them by putting in your mac address, you should be fine. Otherwise,

remote connection is the only possible method for me to get into your router and see.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I followed what on the generic documentation could given the settings of my devices and it's still not working. I came up with my own workaround based on rebooting the router periodically so I could get on with my life.I finally had to give up for awhile and I won't be physically near the device to try again for another few weeks.You want me to rate you but I can't in good conscience give you a good rating for something not resolved. You threw some things out there but it didn't fix anything. if I had to rate you, it wouldn't be positive.

I understand. I will open this up to another expert to see if they can help you with a more permanent resolution.

We want you to be happy and find a resolution that works for you regardless of ratings. They are appreciated, but

your satisfaction is the ultimate goal. Good luck,

Expert:  hongkongpom replied 3 months ago.

Hello there let me give this a go. You didn't mention whether anything lead up to this. If it was working fine and then the signal started dropping with the bridge device then something could have disrupted the signal. Please try removing one variable and move the 2001 right next to the 3400.

If you still experience the same issue then unfortunately it seems that the 2001 has failed.

If resetting the 2001 doesn't work then you will need to replace the 2001. Signals between devices can be subjected to interference and changing the broadcast channel can help but if it started showing these symptoms then you have a hardware failure.
​Sorry to give you this bad news.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It doesn't drop when they are next to each other (predictably, the performance improves, but I just need A connection, not a perfect one). But I can't test again for several weeks, like I mentioned to the last guy, I'm away from this premises right now and just relying on a workaround I came up with in the meantime.