GeekGal, Network Administrator
Experience:  MIS degree 15+ years Experience as Network Administrator

My Windows laptop will not connect to our wireless network

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, my Windows laptop will not connect to our wireless network anymore. This stopped working 2 days ago. All other devices connect same as before, iPad, old xp computer, etc. I am running Windows 10 installed a year ago. I just tried a system restore to before last update-no difference. I can see network and correct name. I put in correct password ***** it stumbles for a while and then says can't connect to this network
JA: Have you tested the connections by doing a ping utility test?
Customer: ? What is that.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Restart wireless adapter, Windows trouble shooting, delete known networks, etc.
JA: The network expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: I think that is it?
Category: Networking
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, phones, tablets, and printers. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. There can be any number of reasons that the computer won't connect. I'll walk you through them step by step, beginning with the easiest one first.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Awesome, thanks
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

You're welcome! Let's begin by shutting down the wifi router and restarting it. Who is your internet service provider? Do you have an internet modem and a wifi router or do you have one device that serves as both?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Done that many times, will try again, they are separate.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Wi if router ways restarted
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

Ok. Thank you. If that didn't work, let's try this. Shut down the internet modem, then the wifi router, then the computer. Next, startup the internet modem. Wait until lights indicate that is fully powered up and connected to internet before powering up the wifi router. Finally, when the wifi router is full connected, please turn on the computer and try to connect to the internet. If that doesn't work, please let me know what operating system your computer has.

If you're not sure, you should be able to use one of these links to find out.

For Windows

Can you click this link and tell me what you see please?

From the Apple menu, choose About This Mac. Your version of OS X appears directly below “OS X

Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

I appreciate your patience as it can take a moment to type out my answers. I'll need to know the Operating System and who the Internet Service Provider is, in order to provide the next steps.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My is page for my iPad.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OS is 9.3.3
Issue is with my laptop.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Windows home 10 is the laptop.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

Thank you. I need to know the Operating System for the laptop so I can walk you through troubleshooting on it.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

Got it. Give me just a moment please

Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

Windows 10 Networking Issues – can’t see network printers or devices
1. Open Network and Sharing Center by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Network and Internet, and then clicking Network and Sharing Center.
2. If network discovery is off, click the arrow button to expand the section, click Turn on network discovery, and then click Apply. If you are prompted for an administrator password ***** confirmation, type the password ***** provide confirmation.
3. If network discovery was off, your problem may be solved. If it was already one, please proceed to the SECOND STEPS.
Please right-click on Start (windows logo), and then click on Control Panel. Next, click on Administrative Tools and then on Services. Find DNS client service. Double click on it and choose automatic. Do the same thing for the Function Discovery Resource Publication / SSDP discovery / and UPnP Device Host services. If your problem is still not resolved, please proceed to THIRD STEPS.
• If all else has failed, there is a possibility that your networking protocols are corrupted. To correct that problem,
• Right-click the start menu button and select Command Prompt(Admin)
• At the blinking prompt in the black window type the following commands, pressing enter after each command.
o netsh winsock reset netsh int ipv4 reset netsh int ipv6 reset ipconfig /release ipconfig /flushdns netsh int ip reset netshlog.txt
• Restart the machine after executing the last command and check to see if you can access the internet.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

Please give this a try and let me know how it works for you. If this solves the problem., would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? I'd really appreciate it! Without a rating I am not credited for my answer. If you need more help, please let me know so I can continue to assist you. If you continue to have difficulty, please try to open a page in your browser and tell me the exact error message that you see.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It saysI am not connected to any networks.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

Ok. Is network discovery turned on?

Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

Please go through the steps provided, one by one, and let me know the results.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't see a network discovery option?
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

Wolul it be possible for you to temporarily connect the laptop directly to the router with a network cable? If you can do that, I can remotely access your laptop and do the wifi troubleshooting for you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No network discovery option available to me.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How much does this cost. What if you can't fix, don't want to for repairs that aren't complete.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Pay for
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

You're satisfaction is guaranteed. If I am unable to help you, then you can contact Customer Service at 1(###) ###-####to discuss your options. I have no access to billing information so I don't know if you are a first time customer, or a subscription computer. You can also contact them via email at***@******.***.

You probably can't network discovery see it because you are not connected to the internet.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This seems like a scam, sorry you couldn't help me, thanks for your time.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

I don't understand why you think this is a scam. I have provided detailed troubleshooting instructions. If the first step didn't work, you should move on to step 2, and then step 3 if needed. You seemed to be having difficulty with the instructions, so I offered remote assistance. I am confident that if you will just go through the provided instructions and tell me the results we can get you up and running without remote assistance.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.