Viet - Network Tech
Viet - Network Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Great troubleshooting skills with computer and network.
30037186

HP 6520 no longer connects to my desktop by usb. It was

Customer Question

HP 6520 no longer connects to my desktop by usb. It was working OK earlier today.
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: about 2 hours. I can print wirelessly with my laptop.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your laptop, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: Mac Book running OSX 10. works OK with air drop.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Changed the USB cable
JA: The network expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Powered the printer on and off several times. Re-booted the desktop computer.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Viet - Network Tech replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Is there any error or message when printing from the desktop?

Is it a Mac or Windows desktop?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help. Thank you,

If you have a Mac desktop, please try the following fix:

1. Disconnect the USB printer cable from the computer for now.
  2. Click on the Apple logo / menu at the top, then click on System Preferences.
  3. Then open Printers & Scanners (or Print & Fax)
  4. Then click on the HP printer there, then click on the - (minus) button at bottom left, and delete it for now. Make sure there is not any HP item showing there for now.
  5. Make sure the printer is powered on.
  6. Connect the printer securely to the desktop with the USB printer cable.
  7. Click on the + (plus) button at bottom left, and it should detect your HP printer
    , then select your HP printer, then add it.
  8. Then check printing.

- If you have a Windows desktop, please try the following steps:

2. Open Control Panel.
    ; (If needed, press at the same time the two keys Windows and R on the keyboard, then type control then click OK, then the Control Panel window will open.)
  3. Then open Hardware and Sound / Devices and Printers (or open Printers.)
  4. Right-click on the HP printer there, and remove / delete it for now. Make sure there is not any HP item showing there for now.
  5. Make sure the printer is powered on.
  7. Wait a few minutes, and the printer should automatically be reinstalled. Then check printing.
    ; Note: If the printer does not automatically reinstall, then click on the option Add a printer at the top, then select the network / wireless option..., and if it detects your printer, then add it. Then check printing.

- If there is still any issue, please let me know if you have Windows XP, Vista, or 7 or 8 or 10 desktop, or Mac OS X 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, etc. desktop.

When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help. Thank you,