Russell H., Internet and LAN
Experience:  11 years work with Internet/IP, routers, networks, servers

I'm trying to install my Belkin range extender... Im not

Customer Question

I'm trying to install my Belkin range extender...
JA: Belkin question, huh? Fortunately, the tech wizards we work with know networking, and I'd like to connect you with the best one for this.
Customer: Im not having any luck
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I took the old one back and got a new from Walmart
JA: The network expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: lol
Category: Networking
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The range extender may have been defective, but you need to consider carefully how to set it up and where:

Remember that, in configuring a range extender, one has to set it to the same SSID as the WiFi router one is trying to extend.

And also, the encryption code must be the exact same type (not just WPA, for instance, but if the main router is WPA-PSK, then the extender must be WPA-PSK too. This requirement may even extend to revision level, so if a router is very new and an extender is much older, it may not work.

Another point: range extenders must actually be within range of the main router. So check on that also, by trying to access the main router (after turning Off the range extender altogether, and unplugging it) from that same position with a wireless-equipped laptop, and see if it has a reasonably strong signal, of at least two bars I would recommend (though only one green bar *might* work reliably.)

Let me know how it goes, and what you find out, please. Thanks.