Richard, Network Specialist
Experience:  20 years consulting in the IT industry with Networking

I recently installed Windows 10 (free from internet). Since

Customer Question

I recently installed Windows 10 (free from internet). Since then the laptop has been slow. I could not access my photos and the app "Store" would not open. I uninstalled that app thinking that I might be able to re install it. I have tried but have been unsuccessful. Can you please assist?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Hi there Joe and welcome

Can you please do the following

Close all programs.

Press the windows key + X and click on command prompt (admin)

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.

Then tell me how it now performs please.