Joseph Varner
Joseph Varner,
Experience:  Enterprise Support Specialist at Arthur J Gallagher
94318210

A user on our network has frequent network disconnects where

Customer Question

A user on our network has frequent network disconnects where her connection to a SQL server application doesn't connect and a file or record is not found. We've checked all power settings and they're "always on." I see some applications that I wonder about: Spotify, Trillian, Lenovo Simple Tap. Can any of these be a problem? What causes a workstation to disconnect from a network?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Joseph Varner replied 5 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today!

There are a number of things that could cause it - a bad / loose network cable, issue with the network adapter, etc.

The thing with communicating with an SQL server is that, unlike most applications where if there is a natural network fluxuation, it can recover, those sorts of things can cause a disconnect for SQL applications connecting to the server.

The first 2 things I'd do is update the driver to the latest version for the user's network card, and replace the network cable running to the PC. If the user has the latest network card driver already, then I'd actually try an older one - sometimes new drivers can introduce new bugs.

That is where I would start.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no issues with those apps: Spotify, etc? We've already replaced the cables and tested the switches.

Have you updated the drivers on the network card for her PC?

Also Spotify could be causing issues simply because it is soaking up network bandwidth when in use.