Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

Dr., I've used your services on here in the past and it was

Customer Question

Dr. Bell, I've used your services on here in the past and it was superb and this question is for you.
I'm an IT intern at a pharmaceutical research firm,and I need a little bit of help in regards ***** ***** (and hopefully resolving) some router logs.
Against my judgement, my company has a Netgear AC1200 router that has both a NAT and SPI firewall, and is running the most current firmware. Additionally, we have a WD MyCloud that we use as our internal shared drive. Finally, the specific logs have to do with an employee's Samsung Galaxy S2 tablet that is running Android 6.0 Marshmallow.
When checking our router logs today (I do it occasionally, not daily) but haven't seen this before - I came across [LAN access from remote] logs accessing the Samsung Galaxy tablet on port 16082. Additionally, IPs connecting to the tablet were from Poland, Armenia, Russia and Norway.
Furthermore, when looking at the UPnP port map tab in the advanced settings, I see 2 entries that are active (1 for TCP and 1 for UDP) where the internal port is 16082, the external port is 16082, and the IP goes to the Samsung Galaxy tablet. This directly correlates to the above [LAN access from remote] logs as connections were coming in via port 16082 on the device.
Lastly, on the router - UPnP is enabled (obviously), Remote management is not enabled and MAC address filtering is not enabled. Additionally, when the router was initially configured (not by me), VPN passthroughs (IPSec, PPTP, L2TP) were enabled. I know that we don't use VPNs in the company, so the configurer simply did not disable it.
Can you help me assess the situation?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 5 months ago.

I am the person that will be helping you today.

May I ask for the IPs that were associated with port 16082?

I will be standing by, looking forward to your response.

Thank you,
Jason

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The IP of the Samsung Galaxy device being accessed via port 16082 was/is 192.168.0.27.When I pinged the device at 192.168.0.27, the first two requests of the four had destination host unavailable, and the last two received a response. I've since disconnected the device from the network for security purposes.

Thank you for the update. You gave me the LOCAL IP ADDRESS of the phone. That is the IP address of the phone on the network.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I thought that was what you were asking for. What exactly were you asking for?

You stated that there were IP addresses connecting to the tablet from other countries. I am asking for the IP addresses of the out of country devices.