Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Consultant
Experience:  Network consultant for over 20 years.
25267123

In my airport utility, it shows express. But the unit itself

Customer Question

In my airport utility, it shows green for my express. But the unit itself is flashing amber. The network is showing up as well, but says no internet secured. Im on day 3 of this BS !!!!!
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: 3 days
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Turning the modem off resetting the airport express unplugging the cable to the modem....nothing
JA: The Mac expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 8 months ago.

Hi, welcome to justanswer.com! My name is Mike.

I will need some information before we begin:

Please go to the Apple logo at the upper left of your computer screen to About This Mac and give me this information:
The exact system Version (listed right under OS X ??)
Processor
Memory

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No Mac, PC

That's your problem, LOL... What is your setup exactly is the AE plugged directly into your modem, who is your provider. Etc...?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have a ethernet to the ae and a enternet to my pc from the modem which is a netgear cm 500 and provider is comcast

I don't understand there is only one Ethernet port on the modem?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Well, i have a ethernet splitter

you can't use a "splitter" on the modem it has to be only connected to a router or your computer nothing else

I suggest you do a hard reset on the AE then set it up again ONLY plugged into the modem.

Sorry I mean factory reset see here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201945

If you want to do what I think you are trying to do you need a router plugged in to the modem then you can plug both the PC and the AE into that. If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. Thanks!!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What the hell with this website? I responded but nothing is showing up?

Well I got that please try again sorry...

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am not satisfied as nothing has been solved. I took you advise and plugged the modem directly to the ae figuring maybe it would work since it has been configured in airport utility but nothing. Then my regular hard connected internet went down for sometime. Uuuggghhh! :-)
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Would a switch work rather than the splitter?

Did you do a factory reset and then set it up again as I suggested?

ONLY a router will work with the modem you can't use any Ethernet switch or "splitter". They are very cheap

The AE is limited to only WiFi connections, if that's all you need then plug it in directly and set it up again

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have done that so many times. Done the factory reset several times. I do not have a wifi adapter in my pc hence why I need it plugged into the modem. And I am trying to set the ae to be a router. I had it like that for almost a year then I lost my connections 3 days ago when I was trying to listen to airplay through several devices.

The AE is not a router per se. You MUST use a router to plug it in to your PC as well as have WiFi. You might as well get a router with WiFi they are about the same cost you can still use the AE and connect it to your existing WiFI network anywhere in the house and get Airplay.

I can help you by remote to setup the AE but of course you need internet access on your PC first there's the catch. You will be much happier with a WiFI router, the Apple one is a bit expensive but great, here is a good choice: https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Wireless-Dual-Band-Router-867Mbps/dp/B0168G0KZY/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1467665280&sr=1-3&keywords=wifi+router

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How was able to use the ae for my wifi network before? And forget to tell you this, but I have 2 ae's and both are having the same problem.

I have no idea how you are doing that but whatever you were doing is not the normal way. You can use just a router with no WiFI too: https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-EdgeRouter-Advanced-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B00YFJT29C/ref=sr_1_24?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1467665424&sr=1-24&keywords=router

The cable modems are very sensitive to what is plugged into them for security reasons. If you change that you must turn it off and power it down before it will work it locks to the first device it sees usually.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I simply had my modem, my PC and the ae which I used to connect to my wifi network. I believe I had read that I could use the ae as a router which is why I set it up that way. Did apple just change something in order to get more money about of saps like me?! ;-)

You can use it as a router but not an Ethernet router ONLY WiFi

You need a router with or without WiFi, if you need to have some devices connect by Ethernet, that's it, end of story... Sorry I don't work for Apple

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I know that. f**k it, I'll just purchase a router and be done with it. And, how did this conversation go from the $5 they told me I would be charged to the $30 that is now on my card?

You will be much happier and you will also get the speed a direct Ethernet connection gets. I believe $5 is just a deposit.

Please click the Help link at the bottom of the question page or email *****@******.*** and the Customer Support department will correspond with you directly to assist you.

If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. Thanks!!