Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft

Unable to load sites such as & ca. amazon uk

Customer Question

unable to load sites such as & ca. amazon uk works.
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: months
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: tried flushing the dns. tried typing the ip address. tried another browser. turning off firewall. changed dns.
JA: The network expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Network Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Networking
Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 months ago.

Hi there. My name is Alison. I am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, phones, tablets, and printers. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. It sounds as though you have done a lot of troubleshooting already. However there are a few other possibilities to explore. May I ask please what browser(s)you are using? We may need to empty the history and clear the cache as sometimes the computer will pull up a site that is stored on the computer rather than the actual live site. If the last page that was stores was an error page, sometimes you will continue to see that long after the error has cleared. That's the best place to start simply clearing the history/cache in your web browser(s). If that doesn't work, then I'll need to ask a few more questions. IS this a home computer or a work computer? Are you on a network administered by someone else?

Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 months ago.

Please give this a try and let me know the results. I'll be standing by. If you need clarification on any of the steps or have additional questions I am happy to assist. I am committed to working with you until the problem is fully resolved.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Tried clearing the cache. It's a home computer
Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for that information. I thought that you probably had done that since you did far more advanced things, but I always ask to be sure. I just checked to make sure that I can access and I thought it might be possible that Amazon had implemented a new policy limiting access depending upon country of origin. I was able to access the sites, so that does not appear to be the problem. May I ask who your Internet Service Provider is?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
BT. The problem much be in the computer as I can access it on my ipad
Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for that information. When you access it on your ipad are you going through Wifi using the same internet service provider as the computer uses? Do you have cellular service on the ipad? If so, let's go into settings and turn that off so the ipad can't switch to it, and then let;'s try again to go the sites on the ipad.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm just using the wifi on the ipad.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 months ago.

Ok. We've definitely narrowed it down to the computer. Please give me just a few minutes to investigate further and determine settings that we can check on your computer. Can you tell me please what dns settings you are currently using and which you have tried? Also what version of Windows do you have on your computer?I am wondering if we might need to edit the hosts file.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Windows 7x64. I tried open dns & Google dns. I reverted to obtain automatically.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 months ago.

Please follow the instructions below to access the hosts file.

1. Click Start > All Programs > Accessories.
  2. Right-click Notepad and select Run as administrator.
  3. Click Continue on the Windows needs your permission UAC window.
  4. When Notepad opens, click File > Open.
  5. In the File name field, type C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts.
  6. Click Open.

f you don't mind, please paste the contents of the file here so I can determine if anything in the file might be causing a problem.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
# ***** is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
# ***** file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# ***** should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# ***** placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# ***** IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# *****
# ***** comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# ***** or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
# ***** example:
# # ***** server
# # ***** client host# ***** name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# localhost
# ::1 localhost
Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 months ago.

Hmm, nothing there but comments, so that's not the problem. Would you be willing to reset your browsers to default settings to see if that resolves the problem? Also, just out of curiosity, let's restart the computer in safe mode with networking and see if we can access the websites then. If we can there may be some sort of malware on your computer that is causing a problem. If that is the case I a can walk you through cleaning and removing it.