Kevin T
Kevin T, CCIE
Experience:  IT Manager at Wood Group PSN
94743361

How do I setup a VPN in Windows 10 so I can connect remotely

Customer Question

How do I setup a VPN in Windows 10 so I can connect remotely to my network and use my personal (WD MyCloud) cloud server like a device with a drive letter?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Jason Fenoglio replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I can assist. VPNs need to have some sort of networking device in place to connect from an external network. WD MyCloud is setup to register with the http://www.mycloud.com/ site so it can be access from a website anywhere. Much like DropBox. I guess I need to know the overall goal that you are trying to achieve to help you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can access MyCloud with the website at http://www.mycloud.com. However, I cannot remotely map a drive letter to the MyCloud device. To do this I have to setup a VPN into my network. I don't know how to do this.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The drive letter becomes necessary because we will be collaborating on and searching files in the MyCloud device. I can't do this the way the mycloud website is setup.
Expert:  Kevin T replied 5 months ago.

Can you tell me what type of home router you have? All you need to do is map the drive to the IP address of your router and the port your device is on.

We would set up your home router to forward all the WD Cloud stuff to your router IP. When you are mapping the drive, all you do is map it to your IP address and port. For example 234.212.67.45:5000 and this will speak to your router over the internet.

It would need to be enabled on the router and the WD device.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you, this is making progress. The port numbers for the device are 80 and 443. The device is plugged into a SonicWall and the ports are forwarded to the Sonic Wall. There is some way to set it up as a VPN but I have to find out how to turn on the VPN access. I know the SonicWall port is 4433 but when I try to go to the ip for example 123.45.6.7:4433 all I get is site not found.
Expert:  Kevin T replied 5 months ago.

Please map the network drive with that as your address and it should map the drive?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i'm confused ... I have mapped the cloud drive, which is on the network, but when I try to access the VPN it fails.. I need more time, can we continue with this tomorrow? Thanks for your help.