Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft

I just bought a Belkin AC1200 DB WiFi Dual Band Router and

Customer Question

I just bought a Belkin AC1200 DB WiFi Dual Band Router and I'm trying to set it up as a WiFi Hot Spot.
It is going in a motorhome, the Ethernet comes from a Shakespeare WiFi-1 Webhip Antenna which will pick up other WiFi (from ranger stations, campground wifi, etc.).
I do not have a computer to hook it up to/with. I am using an iPhone to connect and followed the directions that came with the router but keep running into issues.
Can you please help?
Category: Networking
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The Antenna says you can use it with any wifi router. It also has a router built in. It is designed to pick up wifi signals from a distance and let you use the wifi router as a hotspot for smartphones, smart TV's, etc.
Expert:  Tim replied 3 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Tim and will be assisting you today. I have over 15 Years as an Engineer and have been with eBay, DoD and many others. I will do my VERY BEST to help you. If you like i can offer remote access and a call. In addition, with any positive rating I will support your question going forward for free.

Hi there, You would need a gateway for it, or a internet source.....a mobile hotpot would work. You will not however be able to use others internet and share it in your motorhome....

Expert:  Tim replied 3 months ago.

You will probably need a PC to set this up....and in addition one so you can log into it and try and pick up OPEN WIFI connections, like at a camp ground......A mobile hotspot would be ideal then you arent relying on open internet connections.....Also any free WIFI usually has a jump page where you are supposed to connect to with a laptop or PC and agree to terms and conditions, your router can and will not be able to do that for you.

Expert:  Tim replied 3 months ago.

This is a bad idea, but i think theres a better way to go about doing this.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That's precisely what the advertisements for the antenna say you can do, and many reviews say they have done. Ranger stations at parks are to far away to pick up the signal (they provide you the password). This is the system others recommended to do this.
Expert:  Tim replied 3 months ago.

I understand it will pick up further signals, but you need the passwords for each gateway to give t to the Belkin AC1200. You will probably need a PC to configure it.

Expert:  Tim replied 3 months ago.

You can't configure this with a even test it. I'd like to see the advertisement to see how they intend for it to work.