Jason Fenoglio
Jason Fenoglio, Sr. Systems Engineer
Experience:  Sr. Systems Engineer

I recently purchased a Cisco WS-C3560-24PS-S Catalyst. I am

Customer Question

I recently purchased a Cisco WS-C3560-24PS-S Catalyst. I am new to this type of technology, however am a fast learner. I am able to break through the password ***** by breaking the startup. However when I try to erase startup config and vlan data, then reboot, I end up at the same startup point. I am trying to factory reset this unit. When these units are factory reset, I can then run express startup and see if all ports turn green. That part is where I would love to end up. Thank you, Edward.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Jason Fenoglio replied 4 months ago.

Hi Edward, I'm happy to assist you today.

I trust that you've gone through these steps below:

Enter the following commands in the privileged mode: (# *****)

delete flash:vlan.dat

Switch#delete flash:vlan.dat
Delete filename [vlan.dat]?
Delete flash:vlan.dat? [confirm]

erase startup-config

Switch#erase startup-config
Erasing the nvram filesystem will remove all configuration files! Continue? [con
Erase of nvram: complete
00:04:46: %SYS-7-NV_BLOCK_INIT: Initalized the geometry of nvram

If you are prompted to save anything before reloading, respond by saying no.

If this still does not work, try erasing again and type: "wr" and "wr mem" to write your changes to the startup-config and running-config.

Let me know if that doesn't work for you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello Jason. I forgot to add that I have been up and down the Cisco troubleshooting area on their website to no avail. Something is amiss and I can't put my finger on it. I am going to run through your reply. I do believe it is the Cisco suggestion so I am weary of the outcome. I will let you know shortly. Thanks, Ed

Let me know. It sounds most like the changes aren't being written to memory and that's why nothing is changed after the reboot.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi. When deleting the flash vlan, it states no such file. Probably because I have done this before. After erasing startup, thenwr memory, it says building configuration, then reboot, and everything is back to the old owners config. This is where I can't pass. Thanks, Ed