Randy IT Tech
Randy IT Tech, Network Administrator
Experience:  Information Technology Specialist
62741268

I am trying to find out who provides fiber optic internet in

Customer Question

I am trying to find out who provides fiber optic internet in my town. OR I am trying to find out how to bring it to my town. It's bewildering. I am in Bisbee AZ, but I would really just like to know a quick and easy way to find out where fiber is available for any City or Town and who owns the cable.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Randy IT Tech replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** certified professional with over 10 years experience. I will be glad to assist you with this.

There is a website called BroadbandNow that will give you that information.

HERE IS THE LINK >PLEASE CLICK HERE

Please reply and let me know if you need any other assistance or if everything is good, take a moment to rate my service by choosing one of the stars at the top, then click submit.

Thank you very much!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That is residential I am looking for a commercial fiber account. Everyone from Zayo to ??? will give me a quote but I want to deal with the company that owns the fiber optic cable.

Generally the cost of installing fiber (not the cost of the fiber itself) on poles or underground (and the permits to do this) prohibit the smallest companies from installing their own fiber or even renting. The contracts between the fibre company and the locaal companies that lease from them wont allow them to negotiate with anyone else. There are many owners of fiber in the US. Most are very large companies like AT&T or Comcast but not all. All the phone companies, cable companies and most of the mobile companies will own at least some fiber. Most also lease fiber from other providers. Some municipalities have installed their own fiber for their use and lease to others. Most power companies have fiber installed, particularly those with long haul high-voltage towers, again, for their own use and sometimes for others. Many school campuses have installed fiber for local connectivity between buildings. There are companies like Abovenet that own fiber in some cities and companies like Allied Fiber who own and lease only fiber in some "corridors" between cities. The Federal government and military also own fiber.