Nathan W
Nathan W, PC Technician
Experience:  Over 5 years basic networking experience. I have taken some networking classes, and I know my limits
4659745

CONSUMER PROBLEM with ATT INTERNET SERVICE: In signing my

Customer Question

CONSUMER PROBLEM with ATT INTERNET SERVICE:
In signing my small office up for AT&T's new Fibernet fiber optic internet service, ATT's salesman misled us. Installation was done 2 days ago. But we didn't receive internet connection to all our 6 wall ethernet outlets, just the 4 available on their router.
The salesperson says they don't have any other routers with more ports, which also sounds questionable.Yesterday the previously nice AT&T salesperson said this was our fault for not telling him how our office's existing slower AT&T internet installation was laid out. . He spoke sharply and yelled at our office manager who he'd worked with to set it all up. He called the office mgr back 30 min later to apologize for speaking disrespectfully ***** ***** but said there was nothing to be done except buying a hub or ethernet jack splitter. But if he's at AT&T shouldn't he know what our existing account service was, and if they needed detailed information about the layout, wouldn't they have come to see before selling an installation and service?Most importantly we don't have the internet connection in our 6 computer locations.Is there a way bypass this salesperson and get someone to help us?Thank You!
Category: Networking
Expert:  49erLBSU replied 7 months ago.

Not professional by any means as the AT&T salesperson should have inquired about what was needed and get the job done. Speaking to someone higher up the management chain is what is needed to repair and fix the problem for your office.

I would first try calling customer service once again and speak to a supervisor to bypass the salesperson. If nothing works there, then contacting corporate is the next way to go. Start at the top to see what they can do:

Mr. Randall L. Stephenson, Chief Executive Officer & President
AT&T Inc.
208 S. Akard Street
Dallas, TX 75202(###) ###-####phone

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Dear *****,
Thanks for your suggestions, yet I suspect the way to get this resolved is to communicate with the person who this salesman reports to.
Customer Service only told us how to set our system up, nothing further.I wonder if you could "pass" on this question to allow someone with personal experience working at "AT&T Fiber" Internet to answer more specifically. Thanks again.
Expert:  49erLBSU replied 7 months ago.

Let me then opt-out to see if there is someone on our site who has experience with AT&T.

Michael

Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

At any point after installing roboform, were you able to use it and see your passwords?

Also, do you use it with any browser besides safari?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't understand. My question had nothing to do with that roboform
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can you please sign off and close the question for me? Thanks.
Expert:  Nathan W replied 7 months ago.

Hello, I am Nathan and will be helping you.

AT&T shouldn't be needed in order to add more Ethernet outlets. Most gateways (modem and router combination) are limited to four ports. The cheapest and easiest way to add more available ports would be to add an un-managed switch.. These are inexpensive, and are fairly straight forward.

Assuming that you already have cables waiting to be plugged into a Ethernet port, all you need to do is buy a cheap un-managed switch, connect an Ethernet cable from the gateway to the switch, and plug the cables into the rest of the ports on the switch. At that point, everything will be connected to the Internet. The advantage here is that is doesent matter what port you plug anything into.

The switch itself will need to be plugged into a power outlet. I would recommend a Giga-bit switch to allow for future-proofing. Personally, I have a switch from a company called Netis. Other manufactures that are good for a home or a small office are Netgear, D-Link, and Linksys. I prefer metal encased ones.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks. Another Nathan had already given me the suggestionlady Friday but i didnt know it would work until i received it on Monday. I was not certain if the speed could be maintained even when there is a switch.