Isaac Franklin
Isaac Franklin, System Administrator
Experience:  Technical Support Coach at Liberty Tax Service
93584285

I have a Mac Mini, trying to connect an older IOMEGA NAS

Customer Question

I have a Mac Mini, trying to connect an older IOMEGA NAS drive that was previously hooked up to a PC, the Mac is saying server version not supported. Do I have any options other than taking the NAS to a local PC/MAC retailer to try and get the data off?
JA: Have you tested the connections by doing a ping utility test?
Customer: Not sure of the IP address of the NAS, I am connecting via a combo cablemodem/router. I know the router local address in 192.168.0.1.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: So far have just hooked up the NAS drive and powered it on. The MAC recognizes the drive is there on the network and gives me a server name but says connection failed.
JA: The network expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Nope, that would be great if you could help. The drive is disconnected at the moment, I will hook it back up.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Network Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Isaac Franklin replied 10 months ago.

Hi, and welcome to Justanswer. My name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you today.

The data will still be accessible from a PC. The issue is, Macs cannot read drives in NTFS format.

Which is what Windows uses.

If you connect the drive to a PC, you can pull all your files from it, then if you want the drive to work

on Mac, you need to format the drive in Mac OS extended journal format. That will erase all the files.

Which is why you must pull the files off first through a PC.

Once that is done, here are the steps to format the drive from your Mac:

1. Be sure your drive is attached and mounted.
  2. If you have already written any data to the drive, back it up before proceeding to the next step.
  3. In the Finder, choose Go > Utilities. The /Applications/Utilities folder will open.
  4. Launch Disk Utility.
  5. Click the icon for your external hard drive in the sidebar on the left.

6. Click the Erase tab along the top of the window.

7. From the Volume Format menu, choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

8. Enter a name for the external hard drive in the Name field.
  9. Click the Erase button.

If you need further assistance, let me know.

If you are satisfied with the help I have provided, please remember to click and submit a star rating on this page. Your feedback is important as it is the only way I am credited for assisting you. Thank you.
~Franklin